Concerns about the weather... riding a 2 stroke in the rain

Sparks2056

Local time
4:17 AM
I will be getting around just by mb for the next few months. I have looked around but am unable to find anything about riding in the rain. My concern is that since this engine kit came with the k&n style filter I will be sucking in some water if I ride in the rain. My work commute is about 8 miles each way. Just wandering if riding in the rain will cause motor problems. Or if there is something I should do before or after wet rides. Any help will greatly appreciated.

I guess you're talking some form of china-girl?Large amounts of cold rain hitting hot aluminum I believe is a greater concern.Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

You would be surprised to find that the engine is surprisingly tolerant of the the open style K&N air filter in rainy conditions. I rode for around 10 kilometers (6 miles) in a torrential downpour and the engine kept running and seemed to be unaffected by the rain. I have no idea as to how much water was "actually" ingested by the engine, but a person could be lead to believe that a good amount of water should have been sucked through an open style air filter.

The main thing to worry about is water getting into the magneto and shorting out the coil. Silicone (RTV) the hole where the wires go into the case, and loop the wires down to prevent water wicking into the case. Put some kinda sealer on the gasket, as moisture can wick through these cheap gaskets. As long as you're moving forward, I don't see much chance of water getting sucked in through the air filter.

I think, being lower, a frame mounted engine is more vulnerable
than the rack mounted DIY belt drive I was riding earlier this
year. (see: 'riding in the rain' thread in the travel section.)
All I can say is I think my Tanaka pf4000 would run under
water after what it took me through.

In the rain, I would be more concerned about your brakes than the engine. If you have rim brakes, you will need to drag them often to help keep your rims dry. Drums and discs are no problem in the rain.

Where I live it's wet 8 mos. a year. the rim brakes do fine in
the wet,especially the smooth steel front rim. If I'm not careful
and grab it too hard, I'd end up doing a face plant over the
handlebars. Believe me it'll stop me cold in my tracks wet or dry.
Disc brakes are fine but they do put more stress on the spokes
than rims. My old spokes need all the mercy they can get.

Back