Confession time.... I got lucky. Strap bolt Sheered.

S

sabrewalt

Today, I had to run down to the corner drug store. Real short run. Lot of it sidewalks. For the first time, I did not inspect ANYTHING. Just pushed the primer, choked it, pulled it twice and off I went.

As I pulled up to the side of the store and started to get off the engine started racing. (my kill switch wire broke a last week and I had not gotten around to fixing it. I usually pull up to buildings with the motor off but without the kill switch I did not bother. This was only a block right??? I quickly picked up the back of the bike and reached back and choked it off. This old guy was laughing his *** off. It was not graceful. That little black threaded bolt that GEBE sends you sheared off clean and the engine had slipped backwards and the throttle cable got real tight. See pictures borrowed from BAMA. Against the advice on this board, I did not put a safety tiwrap on the front strap, did not inspect my bike and ran it without everything working properly. I figured that as little stress is on that bolt, it would last a million years.. I was wrong.

GEBE guys learn from my mistake.

Attachments

• 21_bracketcloseup_2.jpg
    21_bracketcloseup_2.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 289
  • tywrap.jpg
    tywrap.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 313
Walt..this happened to me after a couple weeks...fortunately I had a safety strap on...saved my a**... Now I run with two safety straps on. Cheap insurance.

That little black threaded bolt that GEBE sends you sheared off clean and the engine had slipped backwards and the throttle cable got real tight. Against the advice on this board, I did not put a safety tiwrap on the front strap, did not inspect my bike and ran it without everything working properly. I figured that as little stress is on that bolt, it would last a million years.. I was wrong.

GEBE guys learn from my mistake.

While doing research on putting my GEBE kit together correctly and hopefully not having to undo mistakes later on, I replaced the GEBE bolt with a high shear bolt. I'm not sure if I'm saying this right but at the suggestion of a salesman at Home Depot, I went to a True Value hardware store and bought a bolt that will withstand a lot of pressure in regards to shearing.

I will also add zip ties as cheap insurance.

Here's pics of my bike with the new bolt and attachment:

Attachments

• IMGP0781.JPG
    IMGP0781.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 287
  • IMGP0784.JPG
    IMGP0784.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 276
looks plenty strong...i see you clamped the anchor-end directly to the frame, good move imo ;)

Mary
Don't forget to move your tension pully to the top of the belt. It should be on the smooth side.

Hi Butch,

Not sure what you mean by "Don't forget to move your tension pully to the top of the belt. It should be on the smooth side."

Thanks,
Mary

Mary,
I noticed in your previous pics that your tension roller was positioned on the inside of the belt instead of the outside like it should be. When the lever is in the down position (black ball toward the front of the bike) the roller should be putting tension on the belt. When the black ball is toward the rear of the bike the belt should be loose. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Butch.

I goofed when I put the engine back on. I wasn't paying attention to that part. I guess I was so stoked about finding a bracket to attach the GEBE strap to my bike...:LOL: I completely forgot about the tension dealie.

Back