Connecticut Law

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by Danny3xd, Dec 6, 2007.

  1. Danny3xd

    Danny3xd Member

    Connecticut Law on bikes with "helper motors" (as it is worded in the nutmeg state) is very clear cut and to our advantage. One has to be 16 or older and licenced to drive a motor vehicle. The "helper motor" has to be less then 50CCs and MPH below 30. DMV statute 14-286 of Connecticut also kindly allows non-licenced, handicapped drivers to get a special permit allowing them to operate a bicycle with motor assistance with note from Doc stating they can operate the bike with the motor not running. After many hours at DMV, I also found a copy of an inter-office memo that in no uncertain terms tells DMV folks that they can not register bicycles with motor assistance under 50 CCs. 14-286, parigraph B.
    (hehe, stay off the side walks too)
    DMV Statute 14-286;

    Legal gobeldegook;
    Sec. 14-286. Use of bicycles and bicycles with helper motors. Regulations re bicycles on bridges. Use of high-mileage vehicles. (a) Each person operating a bicycle upon and along a sidewalk or across any roadway upon and along a crosswalk shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give an audible signal within a reasonable distance before overtaking and passing a pedestrian. Each person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall within a reasonable distance give an audible signal before overtaking and passing a pedestrian or another bicycle operator. No person shall operate a bicycle upon or along a sidewalk or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk if such operation is prohibited by any ordinance of any city, town or borough or by any regulation of the State Traffic Commission issued or adopted pursuant to the provisions of section 14-298.

    (b) No person shall ride a bicycle with a helper motor unless that person holds a valid motor vehicle operator's license. No person shall operate a bicycle with a helper motor at a rate of speed exceeding thirty miles per hour; nor shall any bicycle with a helper motor be operated on any sidewalk, limited access highway or turnpike.

    (c) (1) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (b) of this section, the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles may issue to a person who does not hold a valid operator's license a special permit that authorizes such person to ride a bicycle with a helper motor if (A) such person presents to the commissioner a certificate by a physician licensed to practice medicine in this state that such person is physically disabled, as defined in section 1-1f, other than blind, and that, in the physician's opinion, such person is capable of riding a bicycle with a helper motor, and (B) such person demonstrates to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles that he is able to ride a bicycle (i) without a helper motor on level terrain, and (ii) with a helper motor. (2) Such permit may contain limitations that the commissioner deems advisable for the safety of such person and for the public safety, including, but not limited to, the maximum speed of the helper motor such person may use. No person who holds a valid special permit under this subsection shall operate a bicycle with a helper motor in violation of any limitations imposed in the permit. Any person to whom a special permit is issued shall carry the permit at all times while operating the bicycle with a helper motor. Each permit issued under this subsection shall expire one year from the date of issuance.

    (d) Notwithstanding the provisions of any statute or regulation to the contrary, the State Traffic Commission shall adopt regulations in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54 determining the conditions and circumstances under which bicycle traffic may be permitted on those bridges in the state on limited access highways which it designates to be safe for bicycle traffic. Bicycle traffic shall not be prohibited on any such bridges under such conditions and circumstances.

    (e) As used in this section: (1) "Sidewalk" means any sidewalk laid out as such by any town, city or borough, and any walk which is reserved by custom for the use of pedestrians, or which has been specially prepared for their use. "Sidewalk" does not include crosswalks and does not include footpaths on portions of public highways outside thickly settled parts of towns, cities and boroughs, which are worn only by travel and are not improved by such towns, cities or boroughs or by abutters; (2) "bicycle" includes all vehicles propelled by the person riding the same by foot or hand power or a helper motor; and (3) "helper motor" means a motor having a capacity of less than fifty cubic centimeters piston displacement, rated not more than two brake horsepower, capable of a maximum speed of no more than thirty miles per hour and equipped with automatic transmission.

    (f) Any person who pleads not guilty of violation of any of the provisions of this section shall be prosecuted within fifteen days of such plea.

    (g) No person may operate a high-mileage vehicle as defined in section 14-1 on any sidewalk, limited access highway or turnpike.

    (h) Violation of any provision of this section shall be an infraction.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007

  2. Herrmanator8

    Herrmanator8 Guest

    interesting info danny3xd. i live in madison connecticut and i would ride my motored bicycle around town all the time. I pass cops every once in a while and they dont bother me, no one has. most people enjoy seeing the bike go:grin: but you have more information than ive been able to find and its helpful.\

    thanks, jon
  3. mcassMB6

    mcassMB6 Member

    Great...I just found a few CT folks...I should have looked a little more closely! Thanks for the post. Great news. I live in Branford!
  4. eljefino

    eljefino Member

    30 mph is sweet. Also CT defines:

    (36) "High-mileage vehicle" means a motor vehicle having the following characteristics: (A) Not less than three wheels in contact with the ground; (B) a completely enclosed seat on which the driver sits; (C) a single or two cylinder, gasoline or diesel engine or an electric-powered engine; and (D) efficient fuel consumption;

    Not a motor-assisted cycle but interesting nonetheless. It looks like they're steps ahead of the federales...
  5. gelfling6

    gelfling6 New Member

    Just recently joined, after purchasing one of the 2-sysle engines from BlueCollarBikes, still needs a few minor tweaks to make it permanent. Assembled on an old Murray Sabre 18-speed mountain bike. When it took it's initial run, (roughly 1/2 a mile) it felt great! Minor problem, the support fork in back is smaller diameter, so the idler is loose (already planning replacing 1/2 the bracket for the idler, with a strip of flat steel.) 1st time assembling one of these.. Did a Fairly good job. few left-over parts, a few snapped bolts (oops! confounded by cheap quality control.) Bought it for lite summer travel, because of summer-time slowdown of work (schoolbus driver). I've also got a 1999 Tomos Targa, that's slowly showing its age and milage. (>7000 miles, already banged up not more than 3 days out of the showroom (to say nothing of a split right tibia for me.)) but had it back on the road and running before I was legal to drive a car again. (yes, riding the moped with a leg brace on is not a smart move, but it was still fun!)

    Let's see how the new built bike works for the summer.

    Already equipped with a light set (Bell rear & head light pair) looking to attach a mounting bracket for a GPS receiver, for combo Geocache hunting, and Speedometer.

    Stephen (gelfling6)
  6. Danny3xd

    Danny3xd Member

    UPDATE and great news!!! Code 14-286 has disapeared from their web site. All I can find is;

    "Motor-Driven Cycles (Mopeds)
    Connecticut law distinguishes the difference between a motorcycle and
    a motor-driven cycle, commonly known as a moped. A motor-driven cycle is
    defined as any motorcycle, motor scooter, or bicycle with an attached motor that
    has a seat height of at least 26 inches and a motor that produces no more than five
    brake horsepower. You must have a valid driver's license to operate a motor-driven
    scooter, but do not need a motorcycle endorsement.
    NOTE : Effective October 1, 2008,16-and 17-year-olds must wear protective
    headgear when operating a motor-driven scooter.
    In addition, if the speed limit on a road is greater than the maximum speed
    of the motor-driven cycle, you may only operate that cycle in the right hand traffic
    lane or on a usable shoulder on the right side of the road, except if preparing to turn
    left at an intersection or into or from a private road or driveway.
    A motor-driven cycle cannot be operated on a limited access highway or

    Link to site; DMV:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  7. HseLoMein

    HseLoMein Member

    5 horses, woah boy!!! lol makes me want to move to CT now :)
  8. Danny3xd

    Danny3xd Member

    Oh Man! It happened in 2008 and I had no idea. How cool is this? No helmet or speed. Pretty much "act right and they look away. Love it

    I posted else where, but Carol says hello HLM.