Engine Trouble connecting rod to crank locked up. need some info

tigatron

Local time
3:56 PM
So while riding home from work last night my motor died.
Got it ripped as far apart as I can for now and found that the reason it died is that the connecting rod to crank is locked up.

I know there is a clutch removal tool (my kit didn't have one) does this tool remove the small gear next to the clutch too and the left side drive gear? If not what will I need?
Do I need and a special tool to remove the mag setup from the left side?
Does the crank come apart where I could replace the connecting rod to crank bearing or would I be better off just ordering a new crank / rod when I order gaskets.

Trying to weigh fixing this motor vs. A new motor.

you need that tool for the small bezel gear

rotor comes off OK, but sometimes the key inside hangs up a bit

unless you're good with engines, I'd recommend getting a new one & using old one for parts

Thanks. So I can get the rest out of the way to crack this thing open with just that "clutch tool" then?

I've dabbled a bit with 2-strokes but mostly work on car engines (including full rebuilds) so I'm thinking I should be able to fix this once I can get the crank case apart.

getting the crank trued up (and keeping it true while pressing cases back together) takes a bit of skill that is different from that which is needed for cranks you may be used to

I could see it being "fun" but i had to open the case in my old moped to inspect everything (sat 5+ years before I got it) and managed to get it back together and used it for years (now somebody else is using it)

I'm thinking I'll see about locating a puller tool and crack it open ang from there worst case I spend $5-10 on the tool and decide not to fix the motor.

I say just pull the piston off and smack the connecting rod with a mallet until it frees up. It won't be pretty but it'll keep it running long enough for you to get a replacement in. just lubricate the **** out of it, run like 15:1 in the mean time.

Might give it a try lol can't make things much worse.
I was looking at a bunch of sights for parts and am seeing different connecting rods for 49 & 66 cc (assuming piston pin size is different); what's got me tho is every place that offers a crank with rod already installed doesn't list if its a 49 or 66 cc rod.

Not sure where to order from yet either. Figuring while its apart I'll need new gaskets, better bearings (where should I get these and what ones)

Thanks for the link.
Probably going to be thevend of the month before I can see about working on this too much but trying to gather info and find where is best to get parts from.

Back