Considering cross country this summer - questions

ok, here's the deal...we don't mind getting you started in the right direction, but this "traveling" topic has quickly become "technical" in nature...and a bit repetative in some cases...let's start taking these seperate questions about seperate components to the proper areas...start browsing "rack-mount" to learn a lot of what you're asking, the "Garage" is chock full of good techie stuff, lots of engine info's already there...then "bump" what you find with your specific questions :)

when you have a specific answer, come back to this topic and tell us what you've leaned and/or decided :cool:

I don't know guys...he he...all that long distance stuff sounds like a sore butt to me...lmao.

26" is the only choice...way more options on beef-i-fying it.

and, there may be a small "flaw" in your intitial concept...altho it will still be a bicycle, you are going to be building a motor-vehicle...try a bit of shopping with "heavy-duty" frame in mind. the surly's a neat "road" bicycle, but it's been designed for "road" lightness. only my opinion, & only trying to help :)

This may be totally ignorant, but I thought the Surly's frame was one of the heavier and stronger frames out there being steel and all?

i was speaking of the entire bicycle...sorry for being vague. i shouldn't have specified "frame." i just feel (imo) that if you started there, you'd be changing out so much of the other components.

however, there may be a "flaw" in my idea of your idea...i just don't usually equate full-on roadbike with motorizing, but why the heck not? if you're an avid pedaler, then go for it. consider something lightweight for your power-assist, like the golden eagle zenoah 25cc, and create a whole new sub-genre :)

And there may be a flaw with my idea of bike engines - equipping an engine to a pure road/touring bike is uncommon/not recommended?

traveling by motoredbike is becoming quite common...i guess it's time the "class" defines itself.

shoot, almost burned another dinner, that was close. ok, i'm back.

most use a mountainbike style ride, then accessorize for road trips. i think it's the suspension that does it for 'em. but, if you're already a road-biker, then let's DO think about this from your point of view.

i don't own or have any experience with the more popular chain-driven rack-mounts, altho i know they're heavy-duty and quality. but i can again highly recommend you consider the lightweight golden eagle system as a marvelous match to a built-light roadbike...the more i think about this, the more sense it makes...and if we (or i) have led you to think you're limited to certain styles, then we've done you a disservice.

i say rock on, and build for distance if that's your thing :)

Back