Converting an e-scooter to gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowracer

Local time
11:42 PM
I started my new scooter project.
Recently I built a pusher trailer for a skateboard (more like a motorized fork) & then modified it to push a bicycle. The bicycle pusher proved pitiful & wore out the driven trailer tire within 10 miles (not enough weight on the driven wheel). It went back onto the skateboard as a weight bearing rear driver & worked pretty well, but where can you go on a skateboard? (I only rode it around my block)
I found a Razor e325 electric scooter being sold on Craigs list for $20 with messed up electronics. The scooter is designed to hold up to 200 lbs & has a heavy duty steel frame & fat 3.00-4 wheels & tires (10"). I'll be doing a conversion to gas power using my tried & true Tanaka PF3300 w/ Pocketbike 5:1 transmission. Project goal is to be street legal in my State (<50cc, <2 hp, <30 mph).
I ripped the electronics out & removed the 55 tooth freewheel. I threaded on a 18T BMX freewheel I had laying around. Now I just need to mount the pocketbike transmission using the uprights of the scooter frame above the rear tire.
I mounted the 5:1 pocketbike transmission to a piece of 1/4" angle aluminum. This piece will eventually be cut down (towards the rear of the scooter). I've drilled 2 holes thru the front part of the 1/4" mount & thru the scooter frame cross member & bolted with 1/4" bolts & nylocks. I vice-grip'd a piece of steel bar to both the freewheel cog & transmission cog to insure correct chain alignment. I will probably reinforce the scooter frame member (rear fender mount), with some additional 3/16" steel bar and then some diagonal bracing from the axle dropout to the upright.
Will post more pics as I find time to complete the mount.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• razor-E325-electric-scooter.jpg
    razor-E325-electric-scooter.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,597
  • scooterproject1.jpg
    scooterproject1.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 1,519
  • scooterproject2.jpg
    scooterproject2.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 1,413
  • scooterproject3.jpg
    scooterproject3.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 1,422
  • scooterproject4.jpg
    scooterproject4.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 1,353
  • scooterproject5.jpg
    scooterproject5.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 1,631
  • scooterproject6.jpg
    scooterproject6.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 1,454
  • scooterproject7.jpg
    scooterproject7.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 1,493
  • scooterproject8.jpg
    scooterproject8.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 2,042
  • scooterproject9.jpg
    scooterproject9.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 1,563
Here's what I got done this morning between 7am-10:30am.

I still have more to do & I made a list.

1- install longer engine mounting bolt
2- make 1 front transmission mount
3- reinforce left side of rack
4- install throttle cable
5- install chain (& derailleur?)
6- install foam grips (on order)
7- test rear brake lever (v-type) & keep or switch to non-V
8- install new rear tire (on order)
9- cut & drill platform beams (under floorboard reinforcements)
10- cut & drill wood deck platform (buy griptape?)
11- cut rear fender & mount (keeps pants out of rear tire & chain)
12- install expansion chamber (running forward along & under left side of platform)?
13- reinstall engine tilted counterclockwise one position (if using expansion chamber)?
14- cutoff battery mounting cage (under scooter)?

-Lowracer-

Attachments

• scooterproject10.jpg
    scooterproject10.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 1,601
  • scooterproject11.jpg
    scooterproject11.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 2,064
I got the scooter together enough today to test drive it & let my daughter ride it around the neighborhood. She's 9 & didn't want to stop riding it....lol
I started knocking some items off of my 'To Do' list.
- Bought the two bolts I needed to mount the engine & transmission to my motor mount.
- Installed the throttle cable
- Switched rear brake lever (V-brake levers dont work well with band brakes)
- Installed the chain & rear derailleur (properly routed chain around rear rack)
- Cut, drilled & bolted metal for temporary platform feet area (will go w/wood probably)

I still have more to do to it, but its rideable & lots of fun.
Its squirrelly compared to my refined MB's, but alot more stable than the motorized skateboard project I recently built. I could go far on one of these but will I?
probably not...
Good thing the chain didnt come off once! I think I got chain mgmt under control now...
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• scooterproject12.jpg
    scooterproject12.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 1,944
  • scooterproject13.jpg
    scooterproject13.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 2,217
Today (Sunday) it rained so I got to get most of the rest of my 'To Do' list knocked out on the scooter.
- I reinforced the left side of the engine rack with metal.
- Took a link out of the chain for improved rear derailleur position
- Mounted a chain shield
- added a front transmission mount
Now, I just need the foam hand grips (on order), new rear tire (on order) & cutoff the under frame battery cage.
Before the rain started, my daughter, son & I got a few laps around the block on it & this one is a keeper...
Here is a pic of it today w/chain guard detail
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• scooterproject14.jpg
    scooterproject14.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 2,669
Here's a pic of the 'Business End' of things.
I got the new foam grips, rear tire/tube, & 50' of brake cable housing in the mail today :)
Will install grips tomorrow...
-Low-

Attachments

• scooterproject15.jpg
    scooterproject15.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 1,406
I mounted the foam grips & removed the headset & bearings for grease re-packing. The steering feels nice & smooth now...
My kids have been having a blast riding this thing & taking turns. I have a business associate who will be bringing to work on monday a gas scooter that his son doesn't look at anymore & justs want to get rid of it.
Hopefully its nice & I'll have 2...one for each kid.
Cheers,
-lowracer-

Attachments

• scooterproject16.jpg
    scooterproject16.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 1,371
  • scooterproject17.jpg
    scooterproject17.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,294
I wanted to change my gearing to give more acceleration & less top speed.
I took the stock 4 bolt flanged freewheel that came with the Razor & unbolted the #25 chain sprocket since I run std. bicycle chain 1/2" x 1/8" (#410). I had a 22T 4 bolt MTB sprocket in my spare parts bin (64 bcd) looking like it would line up perfectly with the existing freewheel holes. I had to cut away some extra aluminum material around each hole in the sprocket with my handy sawzall to get it perfectly onto the flange. Bolted right up & allowed me to go from 18T to 22T which effectively changes the top speed from 28mph to 23mph while giving much better off the line & roll on acceleration. These scooters in stock electric form do a max of 15 mph and feel very stable up to ~20 mph. Anything above that makes for a squirrely ride on normal roads. I was going to thread on a 5 bolt ACS Crossfire flanged freewheel I got for a different project with a 32T chainring, but that would be too much of a gear jump & only max out @ 16 mph.
-Here are some pics-
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• scooterproject19.jpg
    scooterproject19.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 1,307
  • scooterproject20.jpg
    scooterproject20.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 1,363
That is so sweet, hope your kids are having some fun on it...

zwebx,
Yeah my daughter has claimed it & really enjoys riding it.
I built another one for my son out of an IZIP w/ bad electrics.
I got it for $25 on CL & installed a HuaSheng 31cc 4 stroke.
I'm working on 1 more for myself using an MTB frame/fork & a Subaru Robin EH035.
Here are some pics of those.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• IZIP to GAS  PROJECT28.jpg
    IZIP to GAS PROJECT28.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 1,298
  • IZIP to GAS  PROJECT27.jpg
    IZIP to GAS PROJECT27.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 1,330
  • ScooterfromBike4.jpg
    ScooterfromBike4.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 1,191