Converting the Honda GXH 50 carby

Z

Zomby Builder

I wanted to keep my original carb on the GXH 50 but there is no spring control or bracket to mount the throttle control. I got a HS / Titan carb from Dax, but it had a return gas line that didn't route cleanly back to my gas tank. So I took the throttle controls off the HS & swapped them with the Honda. They fit together perfectly. Very similar carbys with ever so slight differences, but I like the fuel shut off valve on the Honda.

IMG_1556.jpg Dax carby

IMG_1552.jpg Honda throttle valve

IMG_1557.jpg Honda throttle valve in the Dax

IMG_1554.jpg Dax throttle control in the Honda

IMG_1553.jpg Rear view of Dax bracket on the Honda

IMG_1530.jpg No sheet metal here.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Side effects

I had to take it apart & clean it shortly after converting. I got some garage inside the float bowl & it was leaking. But runs great now. The parts I swapped were pretty much the same except that the Honda had a better seal on top of the control. I used it with the HS control, which had no seal at all. Thanks Irish John.....

sorry to go off topic, but...
has running with no shroud given you any heat related issues?
it does look a lot nicer like that
I worry about heat here, it was so hot today, my speedo went black while doing 25 !!!
(usually only does that if i leave it in the sun)

No Issues

I took the sheet metal off straight away. That was before reading all the warnings in the other thread. I did get a good thumping from the flywheel on my right index finger trying to turn the pull start handle while riding. OUCH! I stopped at 7-11 for a band-aid. The lady at the register asked me if I would trade the bike for her truck. LOL.. Other than that - nothing that is noticable. When it gets over 100 here I'm usually headed to the coast looking for a breeze. I don't ever sit in traffic as this bike is only for fun. So the sheet metal may help in those instances, but I avoid high heat & traffic. It does seem stronger on a cool evening ride.....

better rear pics

IMG_1560.jpg Clearance

IMG_1559.jpg Honda carby drilled & tapped for the bracket

Zomby,
Yesterday, I did the throttle change out deal like you posted. I also found the the gas inlet barb fitting on the Honda carb will rotate down if you swing it with a pair of pliers or slip a small metal tube over the end and give it tug. There is very little clearance between the gas tank and carb so I needed all the room I could get on my Titan engine. These Honda carbs are much nicer than the clone models.

Cris

do the throttle valves both just pull out or do they unscrew? I don't want to force it and break something

just unscrew the flapper

The control is held in by the phillips head screw that retains the butterfly (flapper) inside the carby. Look inside the intake side & you will see it. Remove the screw & the whole control will slip out. Then do the swap & replace the round disk that is retained by the screw on the control. EZ swap. I love my Honda...... Don't forget to use the seal that is on top of the Honda valve. It is one of the components overlooked by the China clone. I think this seal is what makes the Honda idle more smoothly......

Ah ha, I think you may be right. Thanks a bunch Zomby Builder, I noticed the honda has some extra holes in the carb behind the low idle needle near the flapper that probably make for a better idle as well.

Back