Converting the Honda GXH 50 carby

The Honda carb has a limiter built into the air mixture screw. The clone carb does not. Any opinions as to whether the limiter is doing to much limiting :whistle:

Cris

I was just trying the honda one out and turning the low idle screw the little that it turns and it doesn't seem to make a difference where it is to me.

Thats the problem. When I had my clone carb on the Titan engine, the air screw had a big effect on how the engine idled. The limiters keep one from tinkering, but are usually set up for the engine to run very lean (hot top end). I'll probably grind off my limiter so I can get a tad more adjustment and see how it effects idle.

Cris

I put the honda carb with the Titan throttle arm and the little fabric gasket that was on the original honda throttle lever and it seems to start and idle fine and it accelorates well too but too often when I let off the throttle to idle it slows down and kills. It even does it when I have the main black idle screw turned up higher than I would like. I did grind off the small low idle screw like Velosolex considered but it doesn't seem to work like the Low idle screw on the titan. So I found myself putting it back in the possition it was originaly in. Any Idea why it idles fine untill after haveing been accelorateing then returning to idle sometimes.

Check the tension on your throttle cable. It should be the same & smooth release to original position.

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

Ya,the throttle cable it seems to pull and release smooth back to the set seated possition, it just dies a lot when i idle down, then starts right away when I pull start it.

View attachment 19591 Clearance

View attachment 19592 Honda carby drilled & tapped for the bracket

I'm trying to see how you attached the cable barrel holder to the carby. The hole is directly above where the air filter bolt runs under so you can't get much depth there to hold the cable barrel holder tight. CXan you tell me what you did? I have spare HS chokes which are taller and I use them so the cable barrell holder doesn't get in the way of the choke lever. I never notoiced that seal on the Honda throttle that isn't on the HS throttle but presumeably you can take it off the Honda and put it on the HS throttle control shaft.

Reinforce the bracket

Yeah John you are right about there not being much threads to attach the bracket securely. I did three things.

1. drill & tap so that the bracket butts up against the air cleaner box when closed. This will give you additional support.

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

2. I put some JB weld on the threads of the bolt that retains the bracket. Again for more strength.

3. You see how I zip tied the cable to my frame to further strenghten the connection.

This has plenty of strength.

I also made a flywheel guard to prevent my fingers & shoelaces from getting caught in the open flywheel.....

IMG_1572.jpg

Thanks Zomby Builder that is helpful because I had a supply of HS carbs that I just used on the Hondas until I ran out of them. Since then I've had to become more inventive but trying to use the Honda throttle with springs, counter springs and struts to hold them is too time consuming. By far the easiest & effective is to have some of those spring loaded throttles you got off Dax. I've never tried JB Weld but it sounds like good stuff in a tight spot so I'll get some. Did you make your own cable barrel holder or just use one off the Dax?
I still haven't had anyone wanting the HS motor instead of the Honda - I think by the time they come looking for a 4-stroke they've been through too much with their old HT and they just want a Japanese motor. I tell them the HS is OK but they don't want to hear even though the Honda adds minimum $500 to the price.
Incidentally, I reckon the new belt drive GB from Grubee, if it really pulls like it claims to pull, might make the HS with the Stage 4GB about the same as a Honda with the old Grubee GB.

Back