Convince me

Huntington

Local time
7:15 PM
Now is the time to convince me a 4 stroke is better then a 2 stroke for my next build. Not a thread about which is better, more what are the advantages of the 4. I have never used the 4 stroke but have built a few 2.

What do you guys think?

The build will be on the Grubee GT2 bicycle, Ill average a 10 mile (round trip) commute 4 days a week, 30mile commute one day a week. Combo of early morning, day, and late evening driving. Mostly flat roads, southern cali.

Superior fuel economy
Longer life due to oil bath lubrication
Lower emissions
No mixing of fuel/oil
Plugs don't foul as easily
Exhaust note is perceived to be less annoying than a 2 stroke

and what is the best kit out there? I here the honda.. what is it called? and do I need to buy a gearbox separate from the kit?

Sorry - can't help you there. I'm a two stroke fan myself. :)

But I am looking into a 4 stroke kit in the near future. Regardless of the gearbox, it will probably be a HuaSheng F142 49cc engine as it is affordable and gets great reviews. Honda also makes an excellent engine, but it is cost prohibitive for me.

Another con is power and weight, my 2 stroke will smoke my 4 stroke any day in every aspect. The 4 stroke weighs about 30% more than the 2 stroke.

If you are comparing a HT 2 stroke vs. a 4 stroke...the comparison gets easier. Any 4 stroke is simply a better manufactured engine over all. there are some HTs that last a long time, but it's hit and miss. If comparing something like a Mitsubishi 2 stroke (or any other quality 2 stroke) to a 4 stroke, a bit more difficult because they are well made engines. The advantages are back to what were mentioned above.

The options for a 4 stroke frame mount kits are Honda or Huasheng (the HS being a "clone" of the Honda). I have a Honda, but most people with the HS are very satisfied. The gearboxes I would personally consider would be the EZM- both versions, the Grubee Skyhawk Stage III (I have a Stage II and like it very much, but they are gone), and the Grubee 4G. There may be others coming to the market, but these are available now.

I would not ever recommend the Hoot geardrive gearbox- that is the usually the least expensive out there and is sold under different names. You recognize it by the shape of the gearbox which is a figure "8". I also would not recommend the Hoot chain drive gearbox, at least the first version of it. The little chain stretches pretty quickly.

For a rack mount, there are more engine options (Robin-Subaru, other Hondas, Titan [another Honda clone], etc.) for a drive system, you could have belt, friction or chain from reputable companies like Golden Eagle, Staton, Dax, Dimension Edge or others.

don't forget smoooooth !!!
unless you like a constant butt massage ;)

One of my friends admitted that she likes Harley's because "it is a massive vibrator that goes fast, what's there not to love". So there you go, a womans point of view on vibrating two wheeled vehicles. Maybe that's the real reason why they should be called "Happy Time" engines!

Yeah - lol, you could have knocked me over with a feather after she said that!!!!

I had given her a ride on my Kawasaki Ninja, and she mentioned how smooth the engine was - then she dropped the bombshell on the real reason why women prefer Harley-Davidsons.

:eek:

Last edited:
Back