Cool idea (my current bike project)

IMG_0709.JPG
IMG_0710.JPG

You need to learn how to adjust and fix these motors, look here under 2 stroke section. What you are doing is very coastly, setting one aside and getting another just because it won’t start. Really not a motor out there that can’t be made to run with a little time and patience. It can be very frustrating at times,, but keep at it. .........Curt

^ agree,, from what I hear, those Subaru engines are pretty reliable. takes time, but not super hard to trouble shoot any engine. 3 things it needs are Spark, Fuel, Compression. I'd check the plug first, then clean the carb. maybe it's flooding? could be something really simple like a loose connection or like the kill switch is grounding

Well it is my bike and I can put what I want on it. If I wanted to buy a $400 tanaka and put it on I will. Tired of crappy things on the things I build. People said you don't need 12 gauge spokes and I shredded the stock wheel with get this- a 35cc subaru. Not saying I told you so but I really did. Why do that when I can just do 1 pull and go? thing starts literally 1st pull every time. That's why I changed the title of this thread. Tired of messing with the chinese junk atleast any china 2 stroke. Won't buy one again. A guy just said the other day he has 36,000 miles on his subie. That's why I tried this kit in the first place, wanted to try something else. In the beginning this forum was fun to me but now it's almost a burden with rude people and people that constantly say I'm wrong just because I use a different setup. Not sure why spare is still on my threads maybe trying to troll me even though I can't see what he says. Probably trying to insult me and say I can't work on things. I literally would take a ride up the road and back and something would break. I learned from that. Now I can ride to nearby towns but still work on small stuff such as adding a second bolt on the bracket its just less of a pain and it works for me. CG's just weren't working for me anymore let alone the frustration and arguments over these motors with my neighbor just made me want to stay away from them. Maybe you can understand. When I first ran the subaru it was running weird and after I cleaned the carb it ran fine after that. The other day I did my first oil change. I like the subaru for 3 reasons: ease of starting, less noise, and it's lighter and doesn't stick out as much. Not sure if I posted the other parts I received but my front end will be all shimano brake the caliper, disc and adapter. Also put the suntour fork on myself.

Last edited:
Sorry Will,I am just trying to help with your frustrations. If you remember right off the bat I told you where to get heavy wheels, it was others that said 14’s were good enough. And they may well be if it were quality to be gain with, I don’t understand why yours went like they did, with the smaller engine. I am 77 years old and been there and done all this. Learned on my own, started at age 12 or about, long before internet. The thing is if you don’t learn now you will be flusterated the rest of your life, or give up to early. .............Curt

yeah 14g's can be workable,, plenty of people have built solid mb's withm. can't just blame the spoke dia. to be the fault. there's variables...
but if you want to save weight and be strong ya hafta build your wheels. i have 14g on the 118cc build,,

After 40 or 50 pulls that gray motor wasn't even trying to start. To avoid complexity and further frustration I've decided to not use the Chinese crap on my bike. Instead I may get a more powerful Japanese 2 stroke compared to the Subaru. I am having belt slip issues under load, possibly a worn spring or belt. I received my rear wheel and front wheel components and they look sweet.
Staton still has the Japanese made tanaka 40cc motors for sale.

Ya don't worry curt I just want to build a nice looking, reliable bike that I can hopefully daily ride. The extra power will be after I get the rest of the things right on the bike. Commute is roughly 5 miles so 10 miles a day on some back roads shouldn't be bad. Alot less boring than driving the car and get upwards of 100mpg opposed to 16. Need to drill the holes on the front hub and get a protector strip. Not sure if I'm going to try putting it together or get the bike guy to do it.

Staton still has the Japanese made tanaka 40cc motors for sale.
Just checked they say it's out of stock and manufacturer has stopped making them. Sad that good quality motors are getting discontinued. Now the china clones are everywhere but again, I'm trying to avoid them. Unless China starts respecting manufacturing standards. Meanwhile 28mph isn't too bad sometimes it feels slow especially when the hills eat up mph. I bet a goped motor would work.

Sorry bout that Will. Thought it was in stock. What about that Zenoah 41cc smoker he has in stock? 2hp and a decent price, made in japan last I read.

Back