Cool idea (my current bike project)

sure you can put smaller rims on as long as you are not using rim brakes,, I actually did that for my front to change the rake angle. I have 27.5 forks on the stretch cruiser frame. 27.5 in back, 26" front

I have 2 engines, both 76mm clutch so 2 different builds. What I’m trying to figure out is if I can use a novatec hub D041SB D042SB for the 21 speed it says they can use a 8,9,10 or 11 speed but I think that means rear gears only. I guess the 21 speed has 7 rear gears. I’m only wanting sealed bearing hubs and I have a dilemma finding a 36h hub. The skewer axles, I don’t know how strong those are either. I only need the rear hub for the 26 in wheel. Basically I need a heavy spoked wheel (12g, 36 spokes) with the hub style of mag wheels but has a mountain bike cassette. I have 2 bikes picked out.

Last edited:
when I got my cassette for the 700c it was 7 spd, the hub was for 8-10spd and I picked up a 4mm spacer for like 4 or $5. this was after eating a QR hub up. even 1.75hp 49cc pulled the axle around and it's not torquey. gotta have a bolt-on (B/O) hub. you might be in for building your own wheels, probably save you some $$ and spoking them up is not hard but finding 12g stuff isn't easy tho mbrebel has some built 12g rims. I'll look around a lil bit forya

I’m thinking sealed bearings are better suited for 30mph than loose bearings but not sure. Those skewer axles are kinda sketchy too. I still have a shouldered axle from mz Miami since it didn’t fit my rear mag wheel and the middle is thicker maybe I can use that with something. My wheels on the micargi actually have side to side play and I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the Chinese bearings or the nuts/spacers. Pedal chain still isn’t on that lol. My chain is too short because stock pedal crank has more teeth than the wide pedals.

when I got my cassette for the 700c it was 7 spd, the hub was for 8-10spd and I picked up a 4mm spacer for like 4 or $5. this was after eating a QR hub up. even 1.75hp 49cc pulled the axle around and it's not torquey. gotta have a bolt-on (B/O) hub. you might be in for building your own wheels, probably save you some $$ and spoking them up is not hard but finding 12g stuff isn't easy tho mbrebel has some built 12g rims. I'll look around a lil bit forya
I think mbrebel has spokes to, also think Husky has spokes.............Curt

think about cartridge bearings too bcs I was reading an article by Sheldon Brown (tho it's kinda old) about sealed bearing hubs are doomed to fail bcs of moisture at the seal. so I'd guess you hafta maintain a little external grease at the seam with those. I find plenty QR hubs like that but not so far any bolt ons with disc mount

I found a hub that may work, not sure what size hub I need in length but it’s only $30. Doesn’t specify what type of bearings but it looks like loose bearings.

yeah those are cone n cup bearings, freewheel. but you can pack lots of grease on the regular bearings and they hold up a long time w/ no maintenance. in the long haul, you'll redo your rear wheel anyway bcs none are designed for handling power

Back