Cool idea (my current bike project)

Alot of people say that but I seem to be different from other people. I have always had bad luck. My father died when I was 8 years old, I had anger issues when I was 13 and got diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. I lost all my friends, the few I had. Later on in high school I had so much anxiety I would get nausea from just being in the lunch room. I was "that kid". I was too sensitive for my own good and beat around the wrong bush female wise. For 4 years a cloud has been over me I just wish things would stop breaking and I can have some fun on 2 wheeled vehicles.

Last edited:
Well after maneuvering through the walmartians on a rainy day I picked up the sidewinder. I’m replacing the front fork and the tires probably.

Can anyone point me to any good wheels looking for 12 gauge spokes front and rear with front disc mount. Spun the wheels and they do wobble not going to use them.

Not hard to true the wheels, my dude! I had to teach myself when I was a kid, pretty sure you can handle it. You can do it with a cheap spoke tool, a marker, maybe some tape, and some YT videos. And while 12g spokes are nice to have, they honestly aren't necessary. I've put well over a hundred thousand loaded miles on 14g spokes and have only broken them in crashes LOL

Ok I know I def want to have them in the rear at least for the belt drive ring. Is there a way to use stock rims with larger spokes? Maybe drilling? I have an origin 8 headset and I’ll get a suntour fork for the front. Don’t know the width of the hubs yet. There is a lot of potholes around town here that’s why I want thicker gauge. Gonna use a postmount disc brake with 203mm disc overkill ik. The only thing I want to leave stock on the bike is the frame, bars and pedal drivetrain.

Last edited:
Ok there is some with 12 gauge spokes but they are just v brake it looks like, can’t find them with disc brake mount there is an 8 speed but it has 14 gauge. I may have to build them. Was looking at Novatec but don’t like the skewers want a thru axle. Not going to ask the bike shop last time it took months to put my forks and disc brake on.

I just did some digging on the novatec and there seems to be thru axle conversion kits I’ll take a look at those, keep in mind it’s a mountain bike not a cruiser. Jerboa said you can use a spacer on the cassette to use a 7 speed with the 8,9,10 hub.

A lot of times, if you're choosy, you'll have to get a wheel built for the exact specs you want. Or, if you are a DIYer:

Find a hub, figure out what spoke length you need, get a set of Sapims (or the like) in that length and some spoke nipples, drill/prep hub and wheel ring, build it up. Good times if you've got the time.

If you're clamping a sheave to the wheel, the spokes being 12g or 14g won't make much of a difference, IMHO. 12g wheels are heavier and have less flex than 14g wheels, which makes them ride harder and can be harder to true up. Also, most hubs aren't drilled for 12g spokes. It's not a bad thing for wheels to flex, but 12g spokes can make it that way. Up to you tho. Easy to overthink these things.

My main bike has custom-built Weinmann DH-39 rings with 4-cross-laced 12g spokes that have been total overkill, only reason I had em done that way is because I insisted on using Sturmey Archer drum brake hubs. They ride pretty truck-ish, regardless of tire, and have needed more spoke maintenance than any bike I have ever ridden. My wheelbuilder said "What are these for, 2 fat guys on a tandem?" LOL

Back