cooling fan for ht motors?

juliman

Local time
8:22 PM
hey guys , i was thinkin about something today...not good , lol.......and i had this idea, if you were riding along and your motor started to over heat, you would have to sttop and let it cool down for a while, if it over heats then it will decrease engine life and your probably gunna be late for work lol, so i thought why not mount a windscreen washer pump out of a car ( about 2/3-1/2 the size of my fist) on to the frame with a fan blade on it pointed at the motor, you could hook it up to the light cable( cable used for light s lol duh)
and if u stopped at a light it woulkd keep your motor cool, you wouldnt even need a switch or a battery, the electric motors are cheap and last long and if it ran while you were riding down the street it wouldnt have much effect but it all still helps, ok ill try to explain my theory.

fan on frame,hooked up to wires used for lights from magneto
fan points into cooling fins
blows heat/ air through when idleing/ not moving but motor is running
helps add more air when moving? should help engine life? plz add thoughts and try it ( i havent got a motor on my bike yet still savin lol, got 200$:cry: )

lol nother quick idea, wat if the fan was in a shroud so the little blade doesnt cut your leg ....lol

Last edited:
Two thoughts on this. The motors are 12 volt, if you slow to a stop, the sparks slow also. If the motor draws current, and it must, would it draw so much current it would ground the engine spark, like a kill switch? It might add more wind resistance or turbulence in the airflow that cools the engine at speed, actually reducing cooling by interfering with normal air flow.

You will need a battery operated recording pyrometer (high temp thermometer) to test your ideas. Attach one lead to the head and another to the rear of the cylinder, above the intake. If you have a single lead, you will have to double the test runs. Take readings under the exact same conditions (Temp, wind speed and direction, humidity, your speeds, etc.) without the fan on the bike, then with the fan. Your answer is going to be obvious. Please keep us informed as to your results. The world needs more people willing to do the research; thinkers, inventors, test lab rats, and engineers.

Here's my guess; it's workable in principle but won't deliver enough performance to justify the added complexity, safety concerns, possible loss of spark, possible air flow issues, etc.

motorbikemike is absolutely right, though, in his assertion that the world needs more tinkerers and experimenters, etc. Especially those who document the results of their tests.

So if this idea interests you enough, then you ought to give it a try. You'll be able to determine for yourself, beyond doubt, whether it's worthwhile or not. There's no telling, too, what other inspirations could pop into your head while you're working with it.

Good luck.

A touch of castor in your oil mix is all you need to provide protection against overheating. At extreme temps when other oils including the most expensive synthetic, castor still lubricates and when it flashes at even higher temps it forms an even better dry lubricant.

I've climbed very steep mountains in the summer at slow engine speeds. I had engine's exhaust turn cherry red and the engine itself changed to an ashen gray color from the heat but it kept chugging along.

Under normal circumstances our engines do just fine even in the summer but 10-20% castor in your mix provides peace of mind.

Using a windshield washer motor to occasionally splash the cylinder with water may be
as effective. Lately, I have been shutting down at red lights instead of idleing.

There are excellent 2 stroke oils available that contain caster oil. You will have to do a search here in the 2 stroke section to find them. You mix these oils the same as any other good 2 stroke oil. Many people claim that a goodly percentage of Castol oil in your fuel is the best lubricant you can get. Don't take my word for this, I'm a 4 stroke guy, LOL.

Using a windshield washer motor to occasionally splash the cylinder with water may be
as effective. Lately, I have been shutting down at red lights instead of idleing.[/QUOTE

Cold or even ambient temp water directly exposed to an over heating air cooled engine can cause warping or even cracking(engine cast)especially on these cheaply casted engines.

Back