Cops and your Friction Bike

Nicad

Local time
9:05 PM
Just wondering how the law is treating you in your local community when it comes to operating your home engineered transportation?

I live in Toronto, and have seen a couple of youths streak by on gas powered bicycles, but we have an enormous army of electric Chinese scooters running in the bike lanes.

I am hoping to have a running friction bike by spring, and can see the local constables pulling me over to scrutinize my rig. At my weight (185 pounds) with 31 cc of Ryobi power, I don't see getting any speeding violations.

i have found that if you are obeying the rules of the road, have everything one should have for riding (reflectors,headlight and taillight if riding at night) the only reason the cops will interact with you is to look at your rig and find out how to get one,.. ive been riding since 2000 and have never been pulled over have had cops stop and ask questions when ive been stopped on side of road (refueling etc.),

on the other hand ive known persons that made themselves stand out due to riding style ,, lack of exhaust, riding in middle of the road, whom have had lots of trouble with the law

NiCad:
I live in Saskatoon, and have only ridden for one summer, but so far have had no real trouble. I quite often ride past the police station, and have ridden past police cruisers at least twice, with no response other than a smile and wave. I find most people, whether they are driving, on motorcycles, bicycles, or even wheelchairs seem to get a real kick out of the bike, and usually smile, wave, and quite often want to stop me to have a chat. I have had only one occurrence of a disgruntled motorist, who seemed to think I had no business being on the road taking up a lane, even though I was riding at traffic speed, but I'm pretty sure he was one of those people who think bicycles of all kinds are a nuisance, and shouldn't be on the road getting in the way of cars/trucks.
Having said that, I try to ride in as safe a manner as possible, making sure not to impede traffic flow, and obey the rules of the road, including proper use of turning lanes etc..

i have found that if you are obeying the rules of the road, have everything one should have for riding (reflectors,headlight and taillight if riding at night) the only reason the cops will interact with you is to look at your rig and find out how to get one,.. ive been riding since 2000 and have never been pulled over have had cops stop and ask questions when ive been stopped on side of road (refueling etc.),

on the other hand ive known persons that made themselves stand out due to riding style ,, lack of exhaust, riding in middle of the road, whom have had lots of trouble with the law

This is so true even in the US, As long as they see you pedaling pedals they leave you alone here. I have had some follow me to the store where I was going just out of there curiosity.

Will be interesting to see if Toronto Police are the meddlesome type. They used to be.

Back