Could this be a reason for wrist pin bearing failure?

But will that brake the bearing or is it bad luck that thay might brake /maybe not enough oil gets on them to lube. I was told in my car when drifting all the oil go's to one side and soon enough the bottom bearing whent just my luck

just make some brass/bronze spacers if it bothers you that much... get them to a sliding fit on the pin, too much clearance and theyll jangle themselves to pieces quick smart. they also dont have to be terribly thick, they arent for centering the rod, just the bearing... me myself would make em about the same OD as the bearing cage.

they also dont rotate much in that position. if they rotate at ALL. about 10 degrees oscillation...

most people agree, dont have too much wrist pin bearing failures, but theres the odd few...more likely bad manufacturing than anything, but i also agree...that amount of space looks downright dodgy!

hang on, theyre chinese! what isnt dodgy?

nylon? who the $$%% thought NYLON would hold up under a PISTON?

mmmm, ceramic needle bearings...pricey.

screw abec 7...get 11! ha ha... only worth more than the kit itself...

decent little carbide boring bar will slice through the centre of the pins no trouble... as pointed out, theyre only case hardened so HSS will do but why bother if you got carbides?

The washers don't need to space the rod, only the bearing on the piston pin. No need for a step.
Like HS says, no rotational stress, it can be a low aluminum spacer on the pin, still allowing lots of oil in.

Another thing lets talk crank side play. On my second build I will be shimming the side play.

No matter what the wrist pin bearing has a lot of room to walk. These bearings are not made for side to side load.

i noticed this first time i stripped the engine and had the exact same thoughts was tempted to put washers in or some alloy bar but didnt due to messing up weight another thought was maybe a longer bearing but again weight and will it work well i know on mine it can walk 50% or more out of place ( no good for load bearing )

I had some long wrist pin bearings around but used them up.
Using steel washers made into spacers now. Have run it about 100 miles, will have a look.
Am going to tear it apart for the Minarelli mod.

Steve

I had some long wrist pin bearings around but used them up.
Using steel washers made into spacers now. Have run it about 100 miles, will have a look.
Am going to tear it apart for the Minarelli mod.

Steve
You're talking about that cast iron cylinder right? Does it have the same bore as the norm? How's the work comming along?

Back