Cranbrook Build

Started the new bike build. Went with the new style Cranbrook and will be doing a ton of mods. Already cut of the stock dropouts and welded on some horizontal dropouts in their place. Working on running the electrical and cables in frame. Shortened the seat tube 1" at the clamp. Plan to add some bracing in a few places. And of course an in frame tank is in the works.

Going to use the case reed again but I'm rebuilding it with some mods and upgrades.

I extended my wheelbase and steering geometry with a longer suspension fork.

Did you get a suspension fork with a 1in steerer? All i ever find used is 1 1/8, I have an idea that it's possible to swap an 1 1/8 for 1in but haven't tried it yet.

I managed to find a suntour xcm 30 for $90 shipped with a 1" steerer, takes rim or disc brakes and has great travel. Shocks are gas/oil.

Can't wait to see what you do with this build. Being steel, and you being a kickass welder, I bet its going to be awesome.

Got some mods done. The blue demon flux wire sucks lol. Ordered some Lincoln inner shield so I won't have to grind down the welds. Cable routing and dropouts are done. Have to mount the engine to finish the electrical routing. Down tube is big at 45mm so the front engine mount will have to get opened up some. Gas tank is next on the list. Not sure how to tackle that, the frame opening is a little funky. Anyway, here are some pictures.

Got some mods done. The blue demon flux wire sucks lol. Ordered some Lincoln inner shield so I won't have to grind down the welds. Cable routing and dropouts are done. Have to mount the engine to finish the electrical routing. Down tube is big at 45mm so the front engine mount will have to get opened up some. Gas tank is next on the list. Not sure how to tackle that, the frame opening is a little funky. Anyway, here are some pictures.

Looking good! On my cheap 10yo 90a MIG the Blue Demon works almost identical to the Lincoln with maybe just a bit more splatter but similar puddle and performance...maybe the welder is just so terrible that it can't tell the difference :ROFLMAO:. I have tried Lincoln, Blue Demon, and the stock garbage and stuck with the Blue Demon since it gets the job done for less $$$ but isn't pretty no matter what wire lol.

Can't wait to get an outlet installed for my good welder...

Did some stuff to the bike this weekend. First thing, the paint had to go. Never had much luck with chemical struppers but figured I'd giver another go. Used some Rustoleum and it worked great! Next was the rear caliper mount. Stuck it in front of the dropout and between the stays. It can be adjusted by adding or removing spacers (washers lol). Then it was on to the top tubes. Each side had one tack on top and one on the bottom, no good. I put some heavy dual pass welds top and bottom about 5 inches long. They look like bird s**t but have good penetration and even heat zone. Having a hard picking up welding again but getting better. Also added a gusset for wiring to pass through the bottom tube. Next week I want to start on the tank but we will see what happens.

Did some stuff to the bike this weekend. First thing, the paint had to go. Never had much luck with chemical struppers but figured I'd giver another go. Used some Rustoleum and it worked great! Next was the rear caliper mount. Stuck it in front of the dropout and between the stays. It can be adjusted by adding or removing spacers (washers lol). Then it was on to the top tubes. Each side had one tack on top and one on the bottom, no good. I put some heavy dual pass welds top and bottom about 5 inches long. They look like bird sh*t but have good penetration and even heat zone. Having a hard picking up welding again but getting better. Also added a gusset for wiring to pass through the bottom tube. Next week I want to start on the tank but we will see what happens.

Do you think a gusset like you did for wiring would work top and bottom of top tube to pass a throttle cable through instead of offsetting the carb to gain clearance for cable?

Back