Cranbrook Build

Started the new bike build. Went with the new style Cranbrook and will be doing a ton of mods. Already cut of the stock dropouts and welded on some horizontal dropouts in their place. Working on running the electrical and cables in frame. Shortened the seat tube 1" at the clamp. Plan to add some bracing in a few places. And of course an in frame tank is in the works.

Going to use the case reed again but I'm rebuilding it with some mods and upgrades.

Do you think a gusset like you did for wiring would work top and bottom of top tube to pass a throttle cable through instead of offsetting the carb to gain clearance for cable?
Yes. I did this for all my cables. The other ones also have 5/16 steel fuel line welded in and blended. Brake cables pass through 5/16 fuel line perfectly.

Went to Harbor Freight today to pick up a 20 ton press that was on sale. As soon as it was together I grabbed an old crank with a long rod and the new Runwell crank and pressed them both apart. Haven't pressed the crank back together yet because I would like to find a better bearing for the big end.

Also did some welding today. I was on Amazon and saw a seat post that I wanted as a kid. So I made one from an old seat post and some 1"x.120" wall dom. Welding is starting to come back to me.

Decided to see how it looked. Pretty happy.

Dope seat post, love it.

That frame looks even shorter with those big tires on it...ever think of a mild stretch, like 2-3"??? Would look way better and be more stable at speed than that short wheelbase.

Dope seat post, love it.

That frame looks even shorter with those big tires on it...ever think of a mild stretch, like 2-3"??? Would look way better and be more stable at speed than that short wheelbase.
It is actually the same as the hyper since I changed the dropouts. I'll leave this one as it sits for now. May start building a frame in the spring. Have to pick up a tubing roller to make the seat stays to make it a cruiser.

Started on the gas tank today. Got the top and bottom done. The cap might be too big for it. It was listed as 1 1/2" but thats the inside. No pics of the cap, forgot to take one. Also welded in a 1/8" thick filler plate behind the seat tube between the seat stays, no pics of that either lol. Waiting for the fenders to get here. Going to build a box between the seat tube and fender to house the air box and electrical compartment. I'll post a pic from another bike. Bunch of stuff coming this week. Ordered Duplicolor paint shop auto paint, some 2k flat clear for the tank and a ton of little parts. Think all the parts have been ordered at this point...probably not lol.

Made the rear engine mount today. Since I opened up the front engine mount to 45mm so it fits the down tube and the seat tube has a kick to it, the rear mount was 25° off. Took a piece of 1" bar stock and made a mount. Used the drill press, band saw and a router with a round over bit, then used the bench sander to clean it up. I'm happy with it.

Decided to add a brace from the seat tube to the top tube. Had to shape the notches by hand because the POS tube notcher can't do pieces that small. The tubing is from an old Huffy mountain bike that was laying around. Have a bunch of junk around lol, that's where the screen name comes from.

And here is a pic of most of the paint. Still waiting on the semi gloss and gloss clear. All the clear is 2k so it will take the gas spills and oil leaks that are bound to happen. The Duplicolor clear will be used on the handlebars, hand controls and stuff like that. Bike will be black and gold like the last one. Going to mix flat, semi gloss and gloss to make some things stand out and others hidden. That's the plan anyway. Sorry for the dark picture.

Made the rear engine mount today. Since I opened up the front engine mount to 45mm so it fits the down tube and the seat tube has a kick to it, the rear mount was 25° off. Took a piece of 1" bar stock and made a mount. Used the drill press, band saw and a router with a round over bit, then used the bench sander to clean it up. I'm happy with it.

Decided to add a brace from the seat tube to the top tube. Had to shape the notches by hand because the POS tube notcher can't do pieces that small. The tubing is from an old Huffy mountain bike that was laying around. Have a bunch of junk around lol, that's where the screen name comes from.

And here is a pic of most of the paint. Still waiting on the semi gloss and gloss clear. All the clear is 2k so it will take the gas spills and oil leaks that are bound to happen. The Duplicolor clear will be used on the handlebars, hand controls and stuff like that. Bike will be black and gold like the last one. Going to mix flat, semi gloss and gloss to make some things stand out and others hidden. That's the plan anyway. Sorry for the dark picture.

Nice work on the motor mount

Back