Cranbrook Build

Started the new bike build. Went with the new style Cranbrook and will be doing a ton of mods. Already cut of the stock dropouts and welded on some horizontal dropouts in their place. Working on running the electrical and cables in frame. Shortened the seat tube 1" at the clamp. Plan to add some bracing in a few places. And of course an in frame tank is in the works.

Going to use the case reed again but I'm rebuilding it with some mods and upgrades.

Nice job! I have done a pipe in pieces too and it’s not easy. Over 150 tacks to make this 180* and lesd than 10 leaks after 6hrs of work on it.

Overall nice job with the frame mods. I dunno if you know but there is this stuff called anti-spatter spray that helps a lot with making fc look like mig. It does kinda smell like bacon! I spray both the gun and the work.

Attachments

• 820CE01D-A95C-4783-9F42-231BBAE0CFF0.jpeg
    820CE01D-A95C-4783-9F42-231BBAE0CFF0.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 212
Most of the spatter was before the DC conversion. That s**t laughed at the anri spatter. It's better now.

Thanks for the compliment!

Most of the spatter was before the DC conversion. That sh*t laughed at the anri spatter. It's better now.

Thanks for the compliment!
Nice! My bridge rectifier just came in TODAY and the cap will be in on Monday.

Tempted to throw on the rectifier now to test out the DC without the cap. I saw a neat video comparison with cut test pieces showing more than double the penetration on 3/16" plate steel after DC conversion. I still want to get my 220 outlet setup to use my big sears welder but for the price the DC converted flux core is kind of hard to beat on the light duty stuff we use them for!

Raining here today so no painting. Got bored so made some axle tugs. Picked up some angle stock that was laying around at the job site. It was perfect for the tugs. 2x3, the 2" side is 3/16" thick and the 3" is 1/8". Had to make my own because they come in 10mm and 14mm but my hub is 1/2". Still have to add a piece to fit the slot on the dropouts.

Awesome! The cap for my DCEN conversion comes in tomorrow, can't wait to finish after hearing about your results. Installed the bridge rectifier today after work so just need to bolt in cap and its ready!

Hey man, don't want to hijack your thread but just wanna say thanks for the suggestion on the DCEN conversion. I cannot believe how HUGE of a difference it made! About $45 turned a little $100 POS into something that welds like a $300+ machine...less splatter, more stable arc, quicker puddling that follows the tip better, WAY more penetration, and much hotter weld. I'm super happy with it now.

Hey man, don't want to hijack your thread but just wanna say thanks for the suggestion on the DCEN conversion. I cannot believe how HUGE of a difference it made! About $45 turned a little $100 POS into something that welds like a $300+ machine...less splatter, more stable arc, quicker puddling that follows the tip better, WAY more penetration, and much hotter weld. I'm super happy with it now.
I thought you originally brought ir up and recommended blue demon wire lol.

Only thing I need to do is get a better shunt resistor. Mine takes like a minute and I keep flashing myself. Does make a huge difference. Now that other wire should be fine.

I thought you originally brought ir up and recommended blue demon wire lol.

Only thing I need to do is get a better shunt resistor. Mine takes like a minute and I keep flashing myself. Does make a huge difference. Now that other wire should be fine.
I brought it up a while back, but you actually went ahead and did it first lol!

I was running just the wire and the upgraded ground for a while, and while it worked a ton better than stock I had been wanting to do the DCEN conversion for ages but never got around to it. Now that I am doing a structural replacement and not just simple gussets and stuff, I wanted to make sure it was working as good and strong as possible.

You swapped the clamp to + too right? Apparently most wire .035 and under is made for EN setups but the stupid welder comes from the factory as EP for some dumbass reason which effects the flux shielding even more.

I did a test weld with two strips of 1/8" steel scrap at 90* and got over 50% penetration on the MIN setting! Before was barely 20% penetration and a much cooler weld with random pinholes at the root. This looked like a single piece of angle iron when I cut it in half to inspect it.

Yeah, did the full swap. Also got a real ground clamp lol. Went over with a 500a clamp but it works on tube as well.

Painted and cleared every thing today with duplicolor paint shop and not to happy with it. Orange peel like crazy. It's not the gun, loaded up some Eastwood chassis black and that layed sown fine. If that was uv stable would have just used that. My plan was to use the duplicolor and then color sand, then use spraymax 2k clear. Just a lot more sanding now.

Back