Crank Connecting Rod Bearing Side-To-Side Slack

BillyBobJoe

Local time
5:51 AM
After my Zeda 80 engine seized, I took it apart and found part of a piston ring missing. The actual ring had a piece break off and I'm assuming it went into the crankcase. Further separating the case halves, there was metal debris at the bottom of the crankcase, which was causing the crank to get stuck. I realized the amount of connecting rod play might be too much, and caused these problems
I would like to know:

A. If this is normal amount of connecting rod play is normal (I'm assuming it's not)
B. If it is broken, how might I fix it without replacing the whole crank
C. What might have caused this (I am running 32:1 after 16:1 break-in, maybe this was too little oil?)

Connecting Rod Slack Video:

After my Zeda 80 engine seized, I took it apart and found part of a piston ring missing. The actual ring had a piece break off and I'm assuming it went into the crankcase. Further separating the case halves, there was metal debris at the bottom of the crankcase, which was causing the crank to get stuck. I realized the amount of connecting rod play might be too much, and caused these problems
I would like to know:

A. If this is normal amount of connecting rod play is normal (I'm assuming it's not)
B. If it is broken, how might I fix it without replacing the whole crank
C. What might have caused this (I am running 32:1 after 16:1 break-in, maybe this was too little oil?)

Connecting Rod Slack Video:

I'd spend $30-50 & purchase a crank. But yours can be repaired. If you got the tooling to do it.

Okay thanks, I'll probably just buy one then. But just out of curiosity, how would you go about changing the bearing?

Okay thanks, I'll probably just buy one then. But just out of curiosity, how would you go about changing the bearing?
You really need a hydraulic press or a arbor press to press the pin out. But you need a holding jig/fixture for the crankshaft. Then you need a press plate that just fits between the crankshaft throws/weights, it keeps crank from folding or bending while pressing the pin out.

Back