Crank shaft and clutch shaft won't come out. Why?

Nahom

Local time
7:31 PM
I watched the following video where Fred is taking apart the engine. once he splits the case he is able to give it a slight tap with a hammer and at 08:10 the crankshaft just slides out with ease... Even the bearings come out easy...
Myself on the other hand- I was battering the other end with a normal hammer, rubber hammer, lump hammer- and it still wouldn't come out- it went in deep until there was no shaft head sticking out for me to hammer anymore. Also it was really dented. Now it's just stuck.

I go to a different motorcycle place and he says I need a hydraulic press- which I'm obviously not paying for every time I need it sorted. another place suggests a crankshaft puller- another suggests one of those big motorcycle gear pullers with the three legs.
Why won't mine slide out easy like in all the youtube videos and what do I actually need please to make it do so.
Would also appreciate any advice with the clutch shaft too.
Cheers

20161203_100318.jpg

Pic above shows the other end of shaft hammered in as deep as can go and bent.

Was this the crankshaft puller they meant?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151825480015

And this the general gear puller?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-craft-reversible-gear-puller-4-100mm-/12510

The other two pics are thumbnails.

Attachments

• 20161203_100306.jpg
    20161203_100306.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 20161203_100331.jpg
    20161203_100331.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You have probably mushroomed the shaft from whacking it so much . But interestingly it looks like your bottom bearing is caged , is that a cheapo ebay engine? What does it say on your Conrod zae50 ?

Oh Gawd...
Wasn't there a point that you felt you should stop the violence?

How are those parts ever going to go back together again?

This is parody, isn't it?

Steve

Loooooooool!. This was just my trial engine to learn on. The damaged one from when I first bought an already made bike. I thought I was supposed to be doing it at first. Then I realised uh oh I'm doing something wrong here. Then I thought dammit why doesn't it just ever behave first time like it does in the videos and it was just angrily bashing in frustration after that because I knew it was messed up.

You have probably mushroomed the shaft from whacking it so much . But interestingly it looks like your bottom bearing is caged , is that a cheapo ebay engine? What does it say on your Conrod zae50 ?

I have no idea where the original owner got the engine from. But my new one is defo cheap chinese. What would you personally recommend I do for the clutch shaft and crankshaft for the new engine if it doesn't slide out?

Last edited:
Gentle taps , leave the nut on an remove once loose , if there is a hole in the centre of the shaft tap something into the hole I.e. dot punch

If I were you I would get the new case split just a little in the manor fred does then take the new engine and the old engine to the 78 yr. old mech.. The old one is so he can see the ring around the inside of the case that should not be pried against. Pay him to completely split the new case, and ask him if you can watch for educational purposes.

If I were you I would get the new case split just a little in the manor fred does then take the new engine and the old engine to the 78 yr. old mech.. The old one is so he can see the ring around the inside of the case that should not be pried against. Pay him to completely split the new case, and ask him if you can watch for educational purposes.

Totally agreed.
This would still cost a fraction of his education cost...

Totally agreed.
This would still cost a fraction of his education cost...

Ok Ill go to him again. All I wanted to do was get the piston ring pieces out. If I've reached this stage surely they would have just fallen out? They can't be stuck between the crankshaft and the engine case can they?
I thought there were pieces but I can't actually see anything in the open. In future if I want to retrieve something fallen into the crankset- I don't actually NEED to get take the crankshaft out do I?

Oh the humanity...#2strokelivesmatter.
The top end comes off easy and the engine is very light...next time just shake it while upside down till whatever it was falls out lol.

Oh the humanity...#2strokelivesmatter.
The top end comes off easy and the engine is very light...next time just shake it while upside down till whatever it was falls out lol.

That didn't work though. I put 6 broken pieces in and only two came out when I put it upside down and shook it- the pieces must have come out without me noticing when I opened the case

Back