Crashed, Yikes

So I was riding my bike around, and my back brakes got messed up and didnt work. I was thinking, OK, Ill just motor home and fix them up. I am riding down the street, and a car comes and pulls out of an alley. I had just put fenders on the bike so I was thinking, ****, I need to stop, and FAST. I tried to put my foot on the front tire to slow me down, (doin around 50kms) and I totally missed the tire and my foot got caught in the forks, YIKES, so there I was, flying over the handlebars, so I have some advice to everyone. If your brakes fail on a ride, TURN YOUR ENGINE OFF, and pedal home and fix it. My helmet saved the day though, there's big chunks out of it and its scraped up pretty good. So I got to spend the day in the emergency room, left with crutches from the stupid forks and spokes. Well you live you learn eh. lol.

HAPPY RIDIN

Attachments

• sendBinary.asp.jpeg
    sendBinary.asp.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 612
  • sendBinary.aspb.jpeg
    sendBinary.aspb.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 392
  • sendBinary.aspf.jpeg
    sendBinary.aspf.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 432
wow, what possessed you to try to stop the bike by putting your foot on the tire?? Better off putting a foot (or both) on the ground. Either way, sorry about your accident.

i see you have v brakes iam not sure how they got messed up and didnt work unless your wheels are not true is thats the case ? to get a wheel trued around here is $12 a wheel i have the duel pull brake handle ..its a great upgrade just have to take your time to adj. them right i had a panic stop the other day and the back wheel did skid a bit at that point i let up a bit my bike is very heavy all was good

70% of your stopping power will be when using the front brakes.

I have, and like, the sturmey-archer dynohub on the front. It has drum brakes plus a generator.

You really have to squeeze it hard to make it lock up, and, it'll stop me MUCH faster than the rear. (When you stop, the weight shifts from the rear to the front. Since the amount of braking force depends on the weight on the wheel, as well as the coefficient of friction, the braking force per wheel also shifts when you brake) When I use both, even better.

You need to practice using both brakes. Some folks are afraid of using them, but, they work, and they're there for a reason. To stop you in time, so that you DON'T kiss the side of the car that pulls in front of you.

Last edited:
Bike emergency brake?

I just had a thought. This could possibly be made into a foot powered emergency brake.

Attachments

• Emergency Brake.jpg
    Emergency Brake.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 155
Back