Cronus!

Cronus. He was the chief god of the Titans, the Elder Gods of Greek mythology, and was defeated and supplanted by Zeus (his son), after seizing power himself from his father, Ura*us.

He ruled over the so-called "Golden Age", a time of harmony, peace and plenty.

He is golden. Hear him roar!

Thank you Simple Simon for helping me name my new bike.

And Duane,Thank you is simply not enough.
CRONUS1.JPGCRONUS2.JPG
Duane did all the work,man. I take very little credit.
I DID get that rear fender on there! I needed to clear the sprocket bolt,but you really can't notice it cause the engine kinda screams "HERE I AM!!!"Fender clear.JPG
The thick chain rubbed some on the tire. Remember now Duane had to remove the rubber spacer to clear the coaster arm so it moved the sprocket rather close. But the bike chain is doing it's thing. I really don't think I'll have any issues with this. It's definitely less stress than the stress my Happy Time takes.Bike Chain.JPG
Here he is next to MOOP. Yea,MOOP is really hurting right now. I think he's okay. He knows he's my first. But CRONUS is SUPERIOR!!! Please don't tell MOOP that. That would be the end.W:MOOP.JPG
Look here. Duane moved the rack back simply because he felt it was too close to the seat. I mean it would have been okay. But that's just not good enough. He grabbed a couple more tensioner mounts and moved it back. I tell you,I'm so glad Duane did this install,and he learned from this that cruisers need longer this and longer that.Mount.JPG
Here's the gas line. Duane put a Happy Time line on there. It simply grips better. Again,another example of his perfection. Notice though the lack of a fuel filter.Gas line.JPGThat's no big deal. I can always get one. But there is a pretty good filter at the tank.Filter.JPG

I was in a bit of a hurry today for I had to take my daughter to work so I didn't take any more pictures of Duane nor did I have time to stop at Columbine High School to see that memorial. Duane's not too far from there. But I did manage to ride it some over there.
I tell you. This is NOTHING like MOOP. NOTHING.
It starts real easy,I give it a pedal but you really don't need to (I'm used to MOOP. I feel it has to be easier on the centrifugal clutch in one way or another) And then it just goes. I need to get used to the coaster brake. I find I'm using the front brake pretty often.
This engine is so quiet. this is DEFINITELY the Downtown Bike Trail choice of transportation. And it's so easy to ride that I don't think anyone in my family would have a problem riding this bike. There's a moment that the engine becomes so quiet you can hardly hear it. It's pretty spooky,actually.
I'll still ride MOOP. MOOP is more REBEL,man. You gotta clutch this and pedal so it won't snag that and watch that tensioner and mix that gas well. And it's frame mounted so it's HAR HAR HAR!![Tim Allen]

But CRONUS is simply...MAJESTIC. It GLIDES. It says "I belong on the trail"

Tomorrow I'm gonna do some riding. A few miles at a time. I'll pack a lunch so I'll eat at the park. Then I'll check this and tighten that. Really there's not much. I mean I could carry only a 1/2 inch wrench in my pocket and if my tires don't blow that's all I need.

This is Duane's install. And he rode it too.

Duane rode my bike.

I think that ROOLS.

Oh and another thing. I told Duane yesterday about my chain breaking on MOOP. He gives me another chain.
Simply CLASS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott,I by now have probably done close to 100 miles. Soon it may be almost time for an oil change. I'm gonna stick with the Valvoline for now and may go synthetic. I'm still a bit leery though about synthetic oils being so thin like water almost.
Here's a video I didn't upload yesterday. It's a testament to the mileage this engine gets. And I'm no skinny poodle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFAGjVwBwR8
You notice in the Denver thread in Traveling those riding video's on Cronus I didn't travel that fast? That's my cruising speed. Even without the camera and using both my hands I'm not traveling any faster. That could be a contributor to my mileage.
It's so great to know I can literally double my speed with just a twist of that throttle.
When it's winding out,it's simply glorious.
I only winded it out once...no twice.
As far as breaking in,I'm really at a loss as to difference. Right out of the bat this engine has the power. If it has more power to come that's just a bonus!

wow Large !!!

Large.. Looks like you were carrying enough fuel to go clean across the State !!! I can go 42 miles on one tank, but that is pretty much wide open all the time. I'll bet your mileage is better since you go half throttle. You mileage will get even better once you get 500-600 miles on the motor. Your power will go way up to. My mileage went up over 20 mpg once I hit around 500 miles.. Have fun..And ..Enjoy the ride....:D

I bought along my fuel container just in case I need it on the trail.
Turns out I don't need it at all. At most I need an aluminum fuel bottle you find at the camping stores and that's for long rides.
This is strange for MOOP uses more gas than Cronus. When I'm done with my trip to the agency(turns out to be 52 miles,not 60) MOOP's tank has a little left.
I bet Cronus may in fact make the return trip with what gas I had left.
I shouldn't have added more gas except that I left my gas container in back and my tire rubbed a hole in it.

I bought along my fuel container just in case I need it on the trail.
Turns out I don't need it at all. At most I need an aluminum fuel tank you find at the camping stores and that's for long rides.
This is strange for MOOP uses more gas than Cronus. When I'm done with my trip to the agency(turns out to be 52 miles,not 60) MOOP's tank has a little left.
I bet Cronus may in fact make the return trip with what gas I had left.
I shouldn't have added more gas except that I left my gas container in back and my tire rubbed a hole in it.
Also try Army Surplus stores for a steel(or aluminium) water container that soldiers use(or did use)........i'll be looking here.

I went to Wal Mart today and bought some paint. Picture 2.jpg
I chose yellow because I would never get the exact shade of orange/yellow that my bike is and the stickers around the engine is yellow so there you are.Picture 1.jpg
Then my daughter and I went for a ride. First time for her so she rode Cronus and I rode MOOP. She got a bit too anxious with the throttle and messed it all up. Duane had to extend this throttle cable for my bike and was a solid fix but my daughter turned the throttle just too much.I'm not mad at her,though. I'm just glad it happened close to home.
So I took something from MOOP and replaced it with this.Picture 3.jpg
And I fixed that throttle cable.Picture 4.jpg
Cover won't fit over all this so for now I flipped it so it would mount. It's actually a very solid mount and I don't see any hang-ups with it down the road. I'll figure out a way to get that cover to work. Maybe open it up inside some.
I want to design throttles and levers to not depend on cable ends. Instead just have a cable go thru a hole then tighten her down with a small allen screw. That would make life so much easier. Imagine not having to fabricate your own cable when your installing ape hangers or what not. Just get a cable and cut to size.
Please chime in with suggestions on how to make my throttle more visually appealing.

Hey,Wow,!!! It's Something allright!!! How fast do ya get on that? The bike is pretty darn cool, I think the engine is a tad big & high!

Hey, Large, I've been dealing with cables and swaged cable end failures for 40 years now - my artificial arm uses swaged (pressed on) ends, and I can't tell you how many times I managed too yank the cable right out of the swaged on end fitting.

I got really tired of it, so I hunted around and found U connectors in a micro-size to make loops in the ends of the cables - that way it is the cable itself taking the load, and not a press fitted end. You may have seen what I'm referencing in large cables, but they are available in small sizes as well. Basically, it's a loop and thimble, as pictured on this page,( http://www.aeroassemblies.com/gdc.htm ) in 3/32" cable (stainless steel), with a continuous coil spring tube cable guide. For bicycle lengths it would be a bit pricey up-front, but I guarantee two things: you'll never wear the cables out (especially if you use powdered graphite lubricant), and; 2) you'll never break a cable or end if properly applied.

The pictured loop with cable spool end may look like it would be better, but it has a significant problem - the cable pull forces are asymetric due to the offset caused by the cable spool, and for a high usage small cable end up causing premature strand failure in the cable from excessive flexure. High usage cables needs end fixtures that are wear resistant and as near as possible, co-axial with the cable itself, which the loop and thimble arrangement provides.

Good luck with dealing with the issue. As I build my bike, it is my intent to simply buy cable and cable guide from the prosthetic repair company I deal with.

In fact, I like cable works well enough that my headstock will be fabbed up from the cable and guides from a homelite curved tiube string trimmer, so I can build a curved headstock to the bell crank end of the steering on my trike.

That's interesting,SS. I mean there has to be a better way than soldered on ends to hold down a cable.
Right now actually my fix is pretty good. It's just not that visually appealing.
I'm gonna see about another clamp then maybe longer bolts so I can perhaps raise that cover thereby clearing it entirely and I can get my visually appealing back in there!
Ron,like with my Happy Time,I don't like to go over 20 mph but I've taken it to a radar read 30 mph and that's with a 44 tooth rear sprocket.
It has more power than my 70cc Happy Time.

I decided to spoil my bike some when my wife gave me 20 bucks for anything I may need this month. So what do I do? What any man would do!
I bought a $9.50 quart of motor oil that's what a man would do!Picture 1.jpg It's oil,it's synthetic,it's 10-40 not watery and it's race oil....but it's oil. Oh well. It doesn't need much anyway. That quart is good for about 4 oil changes.
Then to fix my coaster,I made it freewheel. Here's my ghetto stand using a ladder.Picture 2.jpg
Intermission.
I got this free just by communicating by e-mail a request Colorado RULES!!
Picture 3.jpg

Here's my brake job from parts laying around. I didn't have a cable holder for I used it for my auto choke on MOOP so I consulted with Mickey Mouse.Picture 4.jpg
I'll look along side the trail tomorrow for any broke bikes laying around. I just need that brake part. I'm sure another miracle will happen like with that rim that day with MOOP. But it's actually okay for a side pull.
I need to go to that 54 miler tomorrow.
Gotta do what I gotta do.
2 bucks in my pocket. Plenty of gas!
Cronus will have near a thousand miles by weeks end. It's at 800 now. I gotta make that trip twice this week. Then with joy riding and errands the rest of the week. Oh yea.
Barely a month old.

Hey,Wow,!!! It's Something allright!!! How fast do ya get on that? The bike is pretty darn cool, I think the engine is a tad big & high!

(how did I miss this?)

Yea. It's a tad big and high because of the jackshaft. With all the miles on Cronus my bike chain stretched out enough to remove a link. Then I was able to bring it down about a half an inch.
But because of the jackshaft,the intake is up front,the exhaust is out back and the pull starter is right where your left hand reaches around while your right hand is on the throttle.
It's perfect. Just... PERFECT.
This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

Back