Cruiser Bike Build; Brake Questions

Justus50

Local time
10:02 PM
Hey guys, I am working on my second bike build and using a basic cruiser as my base. I'm concerned about just having the coaster brake and am wondering if I can add a disc brake on the front without needing to go out and buy a new wheel? Am I better off finding some high quality caliper brakes?

My last bike ended up being a ton of fun building but I had a nightmare of a time trying to find adapters to fit my bike. It came with disc brakes stock, but was a nightmare trying to find adapters to fit the sprocket on the back wheel and in the end couldn't get the back disc brake to fit at all so added caliper brakes and it still doesn't brake well. Needless to say, I don't ride it where I know I'm going to need to make quick stops.

Thanks; any input is much appreciated!

This stuff should get you there.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Thanks; any input is much appreciated!
Or the fork that Chainlube mentioned,
and these wheels that come with both disk brakes and calipers.
And the dual pull brake lever for 12.50 that you would need.
All you do from there is get ahold of a Sunlight 22 tooth freewheel.
and then get your own brake cables from your local bicycle shop.

You will also need this bracket for your rear brake caliper to hold it on the bike.

Here is mine with those mags calipers and rotors. You may need a longer pedal chain because of the larger tooth freewheel...That chain can also be gotten at a local bike shop...DAMIEN

Ps...When you see the words "pre-order" for ordering these mags, that is just doublespeak for the fact that like everything else from China, they are out of stock at the moment...lol.

The cruiser bike i used was a Hyper Bike Company, Hyper Cruiser...I dont advise using the coaster brake at all...They ALL will fail due to the heat/friction of a bike at the speeds they can go...Coaster brakes are only rated for normal 11 MPH speeds of Cruiser style bikes.

IMG_0353.jpg
IMG_0348.jpg
IMG_0352.jpg

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Thank you! The bike is beautiful! I can't wait to get started. I just have my engine and I'm waiting for the bike. Thanks for the pictures. I like the side baskets on the back. I am toying with doing something like that as well. That bike looks like you could take it to the DMV and put plates on it!

That bike looks like you could take it to the DMV and put plates on it!
Thank-you for the nice commentary,

Where i live, (Alamogordo, NM), These are classified as "bicycles"...The state does not register or title these at all, no over regualtions here...Just follow rules of the road like any other pedal bicyclist...lol...DAMIEN

Ps...The baskets are originally front handle bar baskets that fit perfectly over a rear carrier...They come from Walmart at about 16 bucks apiece.
Extremely useful for going to the store...lol.

Section E. Motorized Bicycles​

Revised November 30, 2017

Motorized Bicycles are not considered to be mopeds or motorcycles.

By current MVD practice, motorized bicycles are considered to be bicycles (not mopeds or motorcycles) and are not subject to the titling and registration requirements of the Motor Vehicle Code.

Or the fork that Chainlube mentioned,
and these wheels that come with both disk brakes and calipers.
And the dual pull brake lever for 12.50 that you would need.
All you do from there is get ahold of a Sunlight 22 tooth freewheel.
and then get your own brake cables from your local bicycle shop.

You will also need this bracket for your rear brake caliper to hold it on the bike.

Here is mine with those mags calipers and rotors. You may need a longer pedal chain because of the larger tooth freewheel...That chain can also be gotten at a local bike shop...DAMIEN

Ps...When you see the words "pre-order" for ordering these mags, that is just doublespeak for the fact that like everything else from China, they are out of stock at the moment...lol.

The cruiser bike i used was a Hyper Bike Company, Hyper Cruiser...I dont advise using the coaster brake at all...They ALL will fail due to the heat/friction of a bike at the speeds they can go...Coaster brakes are only rated for normal 11 MPH speeds of Cruiser style bikes.

View attachment 105696View attachment 105697View attachment 105698
I hope on my fat tire build I'm doing I can make it look as clean as you have that. Bravo

Attachments

• IMG_20210518_191535_01.jpg
    IMG_20210518_191535_01.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 197
Those Chinesium mag wheels are a accident waiting to happen. They break all the time causing catastrophic accidents. You're far better off getting a quality set of spoked wheels with 12 gauge spokes from Husky bicycles, mbrebel, worksman or ghettobike. Triple tree forks like chainlube suggested are also a good idea. Ruff cycles makes the best triple tree forks out there.

They break all the time causing catastrophic accidents
The only time i have actually seen them break was either, off roading, Hitting potholes at 30 MPH, using rim type caliper brakes instead of properly installed disk brakes, or over inflated tires or a combination of all of these things...in my case with the kevlar tires, i do not inflate to 40 to 60 pds recommendations written on the tires, It makes the tires, and thus, the rims themselves, way too hard and rigid with no give, instead my tires are inflated to 35 pds and rides perfectly giving just enough give to the road conditions.

This warning is used by all the sellers of these mag rims now due to people using the wrong type brakes with these rims and suing them because they were previously not warned about rim braking...DAMIEN
WARNING: MAG WHEELS ARE NOT DESIGNED TO BE COMPATIBLE WITH CALIPER BRAKES. USE OF CALIPER BRAKES THAT STOP USING FRICTION PLACED ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE RIM EDGE MAY RESULT IN PREMATURE FAILURE OF THE RIM.

Last edited:
This is how they break. This is not from rim brakes. This is from being cheap chinesium. When theses wheels break its always catastrophic. When a spoke breaks you can usually replace the broken spoke or spokes and fix the wheel.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1623753381073.jpg
    FB_IMG_1623753381073.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 209
Wow. Thank you for that information. This is a very good give and take conversation. With all due respect, I don't see how a one hundred seven-three dollar set of wheels could satisfy the requirements of a motorized bicycle. I believe that I can't remember seeing the mag-type wheels at Motorbicycleracing in southern California.

Back