Cruiser bike rear wheel

Jferdi03

Local time
9:03 AM
Hello everyone, thank you for reading. I removed a coaster brake from a new cruiser bike hoping to have a better bike easily to mount my motor on. I got a spot welded on the back for v brakes and got calipers on the front. I just notice now my back wheel has so much slop. It wiggles maybe a half cm to a cm. Can I ride like this for a month without hurting myself? Could barely afford another wheel right now. I am waiting for zeda roller bikes yo be stocked here in Canada this month. If this isn't safe can anyone help me save this wheel?

I assume you mean by "slop" the side to side run out when you spin it. That's no big deal to fix. All you need to do is "True" the wheel.
By tightening some spokes and loosening others you can make your wheel run straight once more. There are lots of U-Tube Videos that show how to do this and all you need is a spoke wrench you can buy at any bike shop. Give it a try. It's not that hard to do and if you totally give up, your local bike shop can take over do it for you. I would probably do this before I rode it, but that's just me.

If i were a betting man, i would say that the cage bearings on each side were either put in backwards and/or not properly tightened...in any event i would not ride my life on a wheel that wobbles...That would be extremely foolish...DAMIEN
Can I ride like this for a month without hurting myself?
NO

Damien..........after going back and rereading his opening post I see where he said "from a new cruiser bike". You would think on a brand new bike the wheel should be running true. I think you might be on to something here. In today's world of junk, you just can not take anything for granted.

Damien..........after going back and rereading his opening post I see where he said "from a new cruiser bike". You would think on a brand new bike the wheel should be running true. I think you might be on to something here. In today's world of junk, you just can not take anything for granted.
I was base-ing that thought on his statement about 'removing' the coaster brake from the wheel and figured he did not reassemble things properly after the removal of that coaster brake by checking the axle for any wobble ...im assuming he just removed the brake actuator from the frame to the wheel hub, then it is probably still the items i mentioned in previous post as you have read...lol...DAMIEN

Ps...if he actually took the hub apart and removed the guts of the coaster brake, then we got a whole new ball game here that he might need a bike shop to fix it for him if his mechanical skills are found to be a little "wanting".

Last edited:
Hello everyone, thank you for reading. I removed a coaster brake from a new cruiser bike hoping to have a better bike easily to mount my motor on. I got a spot welded on the back for v brakes and got calipers on the front. I just notice now my back wheel has so much slop. It wiggles maybe a half cm to a cm. Can I ride like this for a month without hurting myself? Could barely afford another wheel right now. I am waiting for zeda roller bikes yo be stocked here in Canada this month. If this isn't safe can anyone help me save this wheel?

I think when ya removed the wheel from the bike a bearing cone nut got loosened a little.
All's ya gotta do is tighten up the bearing cone nut.

Not so at all. I've had to true many wheels on brand new department store bicycles in the past on my T-stand. Though other issues could also exist.

Check this out guys.. local bike shop left me hanging, they were supposed to install brakes for me but too busy. Got the wheel figured out. I'm glad this will only be temporary until I get a zeda roller bike... thats jbweld lol
20210806_144916.jpg

Yea, that'll last. The first three bumps or brake pumps.
I rode it down the street with no motor and she stopped. I'm going to make sure to pretty much rely on the front but I didn't want nothing on the back for a couple weeks.

Back