Cruiser,Comfort or Mountain Bike pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
My most comfortable and responsive MB so far is my NEXT dual suspension MTB with a staton friction drive and beefy 26x2.1 street tires. It's extremely smooth, quiet and easy to maintain.
Seanhan:
Mechanical disc brakes are just as simple machines as rim brakes. They require a lot less adjustment and perform at their peak even when riding in rain or mud.
I use rim brakes on most of my bikes as well so I'm not knocking them, but there are better alternatives.

Had a Next cruiser for the first year & a half or so, and it was OK. I added a suspension seatpost and it helped with the commute quite a bit. Then I upgraded to a Trek Navigator 2.0 comfort bike about 3-4 months ago, and the difference is like night and day. It's WAY more comfortable, and when I get to work, my arms aren't tired from the constant jarring, and it's easier on the back as well. (plus, I was able to get a large frame size, too, and that helped as well.)

My first bike is a cruiser and rides very well. It's nice for cruising around town.

My next build will be a mountain bike, disc brakes are a must for me. I've been spoiled, my current mountain bike "no motor" has them and I've ridden it for over 1k miles and haven't even had to adjust them yet. My cruiser has caliper brakes which I need to adjust every other week it seems. Also going off road with confidence would be a big plus. I'll likely get it from bikesdirect which is where I got my last one from, then likely swap out the frame if I can find a full suspension frame that will work. I've priced it a few times and it's cheaper just to part out a cheap bike then to buy the parts separate. Another thing I'll likely get for it is the jack shift kit from SPB, which will make using the rear disk brake much easier and I can avoid messing with mounting that dang sprocket.

I actually thought about parting out my current mtn. bike, but I really like that one and it's nice having one bike with no motor. It's a full suspension so no way to mount a motor. :(

My first bike is a cruiser and rides very well. It's nice for cruising around town.

My next build will be a mountain bike, disc brakes are a must for me. I've been spoiled, my current mountain bike "no motor" has them and I've ridden it for over 1k miles and haven't even had to adjust them yet. My cruiser has caliper brakes which I need to adjust every other week it seems. Also going off road with confidence would be a big plus. I'll likely get it from bikesdirect which is where I got my last one from, then likely swap out the frame if I can find a full suspension frame that will work. I've priced it a few times and it's cheaper just to part out a cheap bike then to buy the parts separate. Another thing I'll likely get for it is the jack shift kit from SPB, which will make using the rear disk brake much easier and I can avoid messing with mounting that dang sprocket.

I actually thought about parting out my current mtn. bike, but I really like that one and it's nice having one bike with no motor. It's a full suspension so no way to mount a motor. :(

Rackmount works for full suspension very well. Just keep the engine and drive system as light as possible to keep the rear from getting jumpy over bumps

The first bike that I put one of the Chinese engines on was a large frame mountain bike, without shocks. It worked OK but vibration was very bad. I rigged up a dual rear sprocket by bolting a 60 tooth sprocket to the standard 44 tooth. It climbed very well but was a hassle changing sprockets.

Next I put an engine on a $99 Kulana Moon Dog cruiser bike from Walmart. Very easy fit, very little vibration, and good brakes. I eventually built several of these bikes. We have often used these bikes on dirt and gravel roads with no problems except the fenders had to be removed because they crack and replaced the rear spokes with 12 ga.. This bike would be my choice for an easy project that works well.

Can't tell you about the comfort bike since I haven't built one.

Moth

Hi:
Where did you buy the 60 tooth sprocket?
Thanks

122_Bill_Boulton2_1.jpg

my nirve deviate with a lot of custom touches
the bike seems pretty well made :D :D
even tho I killed two seats (broken and lost springs) being overweight at 150lbs :eek: :devilish: :devilish:
i got same bike how did u mount that engine?

Yall need a ported 80cc with a cnc head.. 33 t rear sproket.

These are motored bicycles. If u want a chopper. Go get mc license. Cops wont fk wit u as long as yer not passing traffic.
Dont be a trumpster. Understand the laws.

Gimme a solid reliable speedometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back