Cruiser,Comfort or Mountain Bike pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Dockspa1 and Huge moth. I was at walmart earlier today looking at the moon dog and wandering if it could stand up to the engine. Awesome. That copper/orange color is sweet too...

My sturdy mountain bike has been extremely reliable. Over 2k miles on that puppy and still running strong. I do some on and offroad action and it handles both no problem.

I've got a mountain bike and wouldnt swap it for anything! Its so versatile and comfortable, I could be riding on the road then see a shortcut through the woods and then just fly through it! It can tackle almost anything. Cruisers just look too uncomfortable for me.

Mountain bikes get the thunbs up from me aswell. I'm just go going to get a sprung saddle and raise the handlebars or fit them BMX type hadlebars. I don't like leaning right over the handlebars like I'm on a racing bike. I'd love to fit an engine to a raliegh 3 speed with drum brakes, Dynohub and brooks leather saddle.

I threw my "80" (65cc) engine on an expensive ~ mountain bike (800$) with good shocks. Once the whole thing was tight and solid, I rode it pretty hard off road. It's nice to know that grass and rough terrain are not a problem even with an engine at speed. I never found vibration was a problem, and I just stand up on my pedals on grass and dirt, so I guess you'd need seat post suspension if you wanted to stay sitting.

I mounted my engine solidly to a steel plate and u-bolted that to my mountain bike, because the down tube on my frame is oversized (probably a common mountain bike issue), but if you drilled the frame, you might encounter issues if you came down too hard on it. Also, if you're going over grass and dirt and bumps for any extended period of time, things are going to come loose. Even with locktight. So it does mean that i have to check EVERY SINGLE BOLT before and after i use it hard. Probably a lot of people do that anyway even with cruisers, but they could probably miss a check once or twice and get away with it. Not so if you're putting it through off road stress.

I can report that putting an engine on a mountain bike does not really take away any of its "mountainess" ie, comfy off road riding and the ability to take varied terrain. And it's HELLA fun to have the whole city as my playground, and not just the roads and paths. It's like a go-kart that goes ANYWHERE. :) I guess the main thing is that mountain bikes have thresholds of expense. Your shocks are almost always going to be the cheapest component on the bike, so if you're buying from a dealer, test those. The bikes overall goodness will probably be comparable to their performance.

I have never put an engine on a cruiser, but i doubt i would feel comfortable riding one the way i know i ride my bike. These HT engines, in my opinion, cannot be used hard and kept pretty as well, so i'll never be riding one for looks. If you're planning on staying on the roads though, it's probably easier, prettier and more efficient to stock bolt an engine onto a cheap walmart cruiser that has gotten pretty good reviews from most of the people who seem to try them. If you all ready ride a mountain bike off roads and on, then don't worry about loosing that freedom once the engine's on. The resistance from the chain tensioner means that your lowest gear is more of an effort, but i've never found it that much harder to pedal the thing off road either. Just usually lack the willpower :p

Demosthenese

Mountain bike frame,bananna seat,ape hangers equal epic win!
My bike the seat's back and I have BMX bars but one day.....

I have built mtn, chopper, and cruiser
all rode differently, all posed different build challenges
bsically it breaks down to this

mtn = fast, light, nimble
chopper = looks cool, heavier, harder to pedal
cruiser = mid/fast, comortable, easy to control

Hi,

I use mountain bikes....built tough...light weight and if you have to or want to pedal, you have plenty of gears to choose from.

Andrew

Schwinn Point Beach Cruiser?

Hi Guys,

Neat site! I just found it . . . one of the guys at work came to work on one of these bikes today! Unfortunately he was out of town most of the day so he wasn't available for me to ask questions of over the noon-hour. I got home and started doing a little net surfing and was surprised at how reasonable these seem to be to build!

I was thinking the 26" Men's Schwinn Point Beach Cruiser Bike from Walmart.com would make a nice donor (I would like the back storage rack to stick my lunch pail on). It looks like it may share a frame and mechanicals iwth the Moon Dog?

Anyone use the Point Beach Cruiser?

Thanks!

Steve

I have a schwinn jaguar
same frame but no fenders or back rack (I just like the blue/silver scheme better :D)
it converts very easily
I have also seen point beaches and they look nice all motored

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back