Cruiser,Comfort or Mountain Bike pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sly

Hello I have been lurking on these boards for the last couple of weeks (new member here) and have not seen any one compare the various styles of bikes and there pros or cons. I thought this might be a good topic for all of us new users that are on the fence as to which style to go with, and some of the more experienced MB'ers could give us there knowledge on the subject. This is the way I see it Cruisers= old school looks and a more laidback riding style my question is are they too heavy not as nimble how much does the springer front absorb? any good aluminum cruisers out there? and which is better in your opinion steel or aluminum and why? next Comfort bike more laidback than mountain bike better shocks no coaster brake more gears.

I have to say I am torn between cruiser style and comfort and the Comfort bikes technical advantages Please help. Also how whacky has anyone been OFF ROAD with a good mountain bike and one of these motors. I live in a mountain area and the idea of having an bike that weighs 35-40 pounds with a motor makes for an intresting ride through the hills, alot of trails are rock laiden, would there be too much bouncing around and damage done to a motor in this instance? any hardcore mountain bikers please fill us in.

And finally anyone have any new bike that the motor fit really well in and preformed well in? What I mean here is i know every bike is different and handles differently, have any of the more experienced users here rode some different bikes and said man that was the best handling/riding bike I have ever been on.... please pass on all knowledge to us noobs your experience is appreaciated thanks -SLY-

Ps. I look forward to being part of your community :D

The first bike that I put one of the Chinese engines on was a large frame mountain bike, without shocks. It worked OK but vibration was very bad. I rigged up a dual rear sprocket by bolting a 60 tooth sprocket to the standard 44 tooth. It climbed very well but was a hassle changing sprockets.

Next I put an engine on a $99 Kulana Moon Dog cruiser bike from Walmart. Very easy fit, very little vibration, and good brakes. I eventually built several of these bikes. We have often used these bikes on dirt and gravel roads with no problems except the fenders had to be removed because they crack and replaced the rear spokes with 12 ga.. This bike would be my choice for an easy project that works well.

Can't tell you about the comfort bike since I haven't built one.

Moth

Moth thanks for the insight. Do you think that the vibration was in the frame on your first bike? so the kulana moon dog from wally world gets a thumbs up... That is what I'm looking for a list of bikes that the 70-80cc chinese motor fits in that can be purchased fairly reasonably and has held up well to use... I think there are alot of others who will find this helpfull. It looks like RC junkie had a nice build on a schwinn from sears.. Also about the spokes did you break the original spokes were the wheels aluminum? have they held up ok? thanks again -SLY- :D

Also has anyone here used any of the nirve cruisers how have they held up and what kind of quality are we talking about? I know there have been a couple of choppers swithcblades I think. I am wondering about the cruisers thanks.

122_Bill_Boulton2_1.jpg

my nirve deviate with a lot of custom touches
the bike seems pretty well made :D :D
even tho I killed two seats (broken and lost springs) being overweight at 150lbs :eek: :devilish: :devilish:

I think it is the frame geometry on the large frame that caused the vibration.

Yes, I broke the original spokes on the Kulana although my daughter who is 100 lbs lighter hasn't had a problem. I have not had a problem with the aluminum rims.

BTW, Pacific Bicycles makes Schwinn, Kulana, and other brands of bikes. They are all made in China using many common components.

Moth

sly said:
Moth thanks for the insight. Do you think that the vibration was in the frame on your first bike? so the kulana moon dog from wally world gets a thumbs up... That is what I'm looking for a list of bikes that the 70-80cc chinese motor fits in that can be purchased fairly reasonably and has held up well to use... I think there are alot of others who will find this helpfull. It looks like RC junkie had a nice build on a schwinn from sears.. Also about the spokes did you break the original spokes were the wheels aluminum? have they held up ok? thanks again -SLY- :D

Thanks azkronik and moth

That is a great looking bike az... is the tank real or a faux tank? if its real you could about go across the whole usa on 1 tank :D thanks for the run down on the makes moth seems like nothing is made in the usa anymore huh.. so aluminum wheels are good to go just need stronger spokes. I am looking at a greenline querve from spooky and a nirve pyro for my bike any thought s on those bikes?

Re: Thanks azkronik and moth

sly said:
That is a great looking bike az... is the tank real or a faux tank? if its real you could about go across the whole usa on 1 tank :D thanks for the run down on the makes moth seems like nothing is made in the usa anymore huh.. so aluminum wheels are good to go just need stronger spokes. I am looking at a greenline querve from spooky and a nirve pyro for my bike any thought s on those bikes?

thanks about the tank
yes, it's real... 3.3 gal, good for approx 500 mi ! :D
I have seen the quirve with a engine... looked good 8)
haven't seen a nirve cruiser with motor yet, but, I think it would be pretty sweet 8)

I'll drop my 2 cents here...
I built a Ross Europia (left) and a Western Auto Stores Western Flyer Grand Trophy (right)
601_One_for_each_leg_1.jpg

The Western Flyer has a "Shwinn type" frame like the Moon Dog (without the large dia. lower front tube) with the curved top bars, the Ross a 10 speed like frame. The Ross rides much smoother and vibrates 100% less.
I thought maybe it was due to the frame being larger. Both engines are mounted the same way and the only difference between the two as far as far as how they were built (kit installation) is that the military (Ross) got the zipties to the spokes treatment.

The WF frame does seem to be made of heavier gauge tubing, and is brazed together at the joints whereas the Ross is brazed but also employs sockets where the tubing meets.

I can give a thumbs up for the moon dog but with a seat bar suspension and letting a little air out of the tires it really is smoother. I have only had a few tanks of gas ran through it but considering, I weigh 250 Lb's and still no loose or bent spokes, I would have to give it the thumbs up.
I havent done any hard trail riding though.
Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back