Cruiser style bike, gas tank

I

i4tas

The cruiser style bikes that have horn tanks is what i have.

Anyone know of a gas tank or somthing that can fit where the horn tank goes. Or maybe a gas tank that looks like horn tanks but holds gas.

I am looking for a 1/2 or 1/3 gallon tank, that i can hide in that area of a cruiser bike.

Is that area able to be opened on your bike, or is it sheetmetal welded to the frame. Maybe you can fit a small gas tank from a lawnmower or one of those type machines, there clear plastic and pretty small, good for small spaces.

if you're looking to pay for custom work, i bet a post in "buy/sell/trade" will bring some leads. there's a couple guys here who do that stuff.

oh, yeah...a pic would help this discussion along :)

Here is a picture of my bike.
http://www.schwinnbike.com/images/catalog/15.27.s4_alloyss_whtblu_m.jpg

gas tank goes in that upper v area.

I was thinking a plastic or metal tank that fits perfectly in the area and get some authentic covers like on this bike

http://www.bikecare.co.uk/cycles/cruisers/cruiser_deluxe_7.jpg

And yes i am looking for a metal machinist or someone that i could get to help me with this. If someone is confident i would rather have them do it and ship rather than some local guy who isn't interested.

i4tas said:
Here is a picture of my bike.
http://www.schwinnbike.com/images/catalog/15.27.s4_alloyss_whtblu_m.jpg

gas tank goes in that upper v area.

I was thinking a plastic or metal tank that fits perfectly in the area and get some authentic covers like on this bike

http://www.bikecare.co.uk/cycles/cruisers/cruiser_deluxe_7.jpg

And yes i am looking for a metal machinist or someone that i could get to help me with this. If someone is confident i would rather have them do it and ship rather than some local guy who isn't interested.

So those really are just covers that go on the sides of the frame to make a "gas tank"

I can imagine alot of ways to get this to work. Maybe using a small tank from a lawmower (as I suggested in another comment here) and running the fuel line through a small hole drilled in one of the cover plates. To refill, remove a cover and fill 'er up. Unless you want to do alot more work and make a custom gas cap coming from the side of one of the covers. But if your looking to DIY, do the first way.

Yes, those cruiser style bikes have just plates. These "tanks" are very narrow (3-5 inches). So a lawnmover tank won't work. I was thinking i buy the horn plates get them to fit and then have a metal tank to fit perfectly inside the plates to maximize gas tank size.

New question where does one get these horn tanks? I only see used tanks like classics for 50 dollars on ebay. Once i get coser to getting this bike running i will post more ideas/plans.

Anyone who can weld or help me out please PM me.

Hi,

I have the D7 bike and I have been thinking about getting a tank that would fit in that area or making one...

Its true you *could* use the metal casings to hide a fuel tank but the main problem is the method of fitting of the casings themselves...

Getting hold of them for a bike for which they arent a fitment might be a problem, but have a look on the schwinn websites forum.. you might just be lucky...

However.. I do have a thought... how about a flexible fuel tank?

I remember reading somewhere that some older aircraft used what were effectively plastic bags to hold fuel because the areas that a fuel tank could be fitted in were too oddly shaped for a welded/fabbed tank to be suitable...

If I could find something along those lines then I could fit it to my D7 without too much hassle as an aux tank..

Jemma xx

Hobby shops have quite a variety of plastic tanks for model airplanes, and also fittings with valves that they use to put a filler nozzle on the outside of the plane. They use a hand crank pump (or electric) to run the fuel from any container to the plane tank. Not cheap, but do-able.

Solved...

Sorted....

Assuming you are using the same tank dimensions as the Deluxe 7...

Also assuming GEBE type motor setup...

Parts...

1 x Dubro S24 24oz fuel tank & fittings
1 x Dubro Glow > petrol tank fitting converter
fuel piping (neoprene)
cable-ties (large)
Cable-ties (small)
fuel line clips
2 x T-piece or 1 x T-piece and 1 x fuelling valve

Strap the tank to the supports of the 'tank' surround with the open end (with the converter fitted) toward the rear of the bike

There should be lengths of brass piping with the converter & 3 holes in the converter itself.. one is for tank vent to air, the other for filling and the third for fuel feed.

Brass pipe should be sized and run through the converter from one side to the other

Using fuel piping & fuel pipe clamps connect 'vent to air' to t-piece and thence to fuel return line on engine

Connect fuel feed (out) via T-piece to fuel line to carb (or via drilled hole and grommet to primary tank).

This is the part that gets technical (at least for me)

The tank can have a standard R/C size remote filler which will require a model aircraft filler pump (readily available, manual or 12v). Use the petrol remote filler model NOT the Glow fuel one...

Or the top of the tank can be drilled for a more usual filler...

All parts are available from tower-hobbies.com

...And now I am going to sleep :D my brain hurts...

Jemma xx

PS: If I have made any mistakes its 1am and I am picturing that all in my head...

Could just use the fake water bottle tank. I think it was Augie that made one. Could also make one from an old fire extinguisher or propane tank. Oh, make sure all the propane is depleted first. Duh! You would have to drill and tap a 1/4NPT or a 3/8 NPT for the petcock to thread into and you would also have to drill a very small vent hole.
Just some ideas.
Doc

Back