custom exhaust ?

azbill

Local time
7:09 AM
If I make an exhaust using original flange and muffler with flexible gas pipe(copper) between them and joined with hose clamps , will this be effective? I plan on painting with black hi-heat paint. I am doing this because my engine is placed high and back from front tube and definitely needs a custom pipe

That hose better be super high temp . . .
we toyed with exhaust before and used
copper pipe and sweat it together(basically soldering it)
and it got hot enough to melt it. . .
I think thats in the range of 500-600 degrees. . .

ended up taking it to a shop and having it brazed.
Which is not quite welding but more
high temp than sweating it together. . .

JaSoN

im not sure but i think some people use conduit pipe and get a conduit bender and make there own custom pipes by using the flange off the original muffler and muffler thats what i used to bend my pipe at the hardware store they just bent it for me for free but a pipe bender cost a bout 25 bucks they get all the bends right and take it somebody to weld up of course i havent done this yet and i might be totaly wrong to but if anybody knows how to build a pipe jump on in larry ca

141_091_1.jpg

Hey if that works that's awesome,
easy and cheap . . .

after being in aviation for 12 years
I am always sceptical of cheap metals.
But I don't think most of these motors are really
high end manufacturing anyways . . .

JaSoN

Unfortunately, copper won't work. It's too soft. The first attempt was copper tubing soldered (sweated) together, but the solder melted. Then I had it braised together. That held fine, but the the copper sheared. When it failed, it looked more like torn paper than cracked metal. It couldn't handle the stress.

My final exhaust ended up being chromed brass, which has been working well for over a ear now. I got two shower head extender pipes from Ace Hardware and cut them into sections, then had them welded together. I watched the guy weld it, and it's a little tough because the brass can melt, but he made it work.

Here is the dirty, but solid final product:

202_PICT0383_2.jpg

Just my 2 cents here. Go to the hobby shop and ask for high temp silicone tubing used for tuned pipes. It can be had in a lot of different sizes and they should have just the thing for these sized engines.

Back