custom handlebars anybody know how?

F

foyeburger

been working on my bike and come to realize need to make my own custom bars ive read were people have done it using conduit pipe but dont know much more than that so does anybody know what tool is needed to do this and kinda how to do it thanks in advance larry ca

been working on my bike and come to realize need to make my own custom bars ive read were people have done it using conduit pipe but dont know much more than that so does anybody know what tool is needed to do this and kinda how to do it thanks in advance larry ca

Larry,

First let me say...DO NOT MAKE ANYTHING OUT OF CONDUIT!!! At a minimum, use thin wall (.063'') mild steel. Not only will it be strong enough to handle everyday use, you won't die from the fumes the galvenized conduit gives off when you weld it.

Second...the tools you need is a 110v MIG welder (or flux core but it's not recommended) a metal cutting saw, small angle grinder and an imagination.

Here is a sample of some of the bars I have made....

Well, looks like there is some kind of internal server error. I guess I will try later. Sorry no pics.

Ok...I think it worked this time

Here is a sample of some of the bars I have made. Some needed to be welded and some were just manipulated.

Dan

Attachments

• DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 663
  • HPIM1837.jpg
    HPIM1837.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 671
  • Flatrightside.jpg
    Flatrightside.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 605
  • WhiteHotInferno.jpg
    WhiteHotInferno.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 596
  • TwistedIckXL.jpg
    TwistedIckXL.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 591
  • RatRod.jpg
    RatRod.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 605
  • DSCF0009.jpg
    DSCF0009.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 655
  • TheDeadbox.jpg
    TheDeadbox.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 567
  • TwistedIckStandardblack.jpg
    TwistedIckStandardblack.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 563
  • Eriksbike.jpg
    Eriksbike.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 639
Here's a couple more...

Attachments

• HPIM1655.jpg
    HPIM1655.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 2,665
  • DSCF0025-1.jpg
    DSCF0025-1.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 613
  • HPIM1801.jpg
    HPIM1801.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 601
  • FrontLeft.jpg
    FrontLeft.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 584
  • 7013fdc1.jpg
    7013fdc1.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 623
  • bc6efe7a.jpg
    bc6efe7a.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 597
wow heck with the handlebars those are really nice looking bikes !!!
well its a bit to involved for me seeing how i dont know how to weld . but i appriciate you sharing your bike photos . those are really nice . im just tring to put a set of ape hangers on mine. but cannot find the right ones yet . but will keep looking . thanks iride again for those photos it gives me all kinds of ideas larry ca

Seamles 4130 chromoly is the way to go. Can be brazed with a bernzomatic with nickel silver brazing rods for 80,000 psi tensile strength all around. Tig welding is a little stronger if you have one. I have made a few handlebars this way for bmx bikes and have jumped with them for years with no problems. Look around you will probably pay more for mild steel tubing at the local hardware store than for chromoly which is at least 4 times stronger.

Back