LWalker

Local time
7:55 PM
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I'm working on my first build and finally finished it up but realized my chain alignment was really bad and creating this "popping" noise. The only way I can see to bring the drive sprocket and rear sprocket into alignment is to thin the outer rag joint by slicing off a third of the width. Is this a terrible idea? It's honestly the only solution to my problem. If it wouldn't be a catastrophic mistake - has anyone else done this? Whats the best way to go about it - maybe instead of cutting I should try to sand it down? Unfortunately I don't have an orbital sander and would have to do it by hand.

It could be the drive chain from the motor, not the gear mount. You'll have to take the chain off and roll it over the gear to check. Check the engine sprocket too, a bad chain will ride up on the teeth. I have a bad chain here if you need another, ha ha.

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure its not the drive train from the motor. The popping sound (on my bike) is very clearly caused by a misalignment of the drive sprocket and rear sprocket. I can see the chain slipping. Do you think thinning the rag joint would work?

I've never had to change the joint, get your wheel propped up on a couple 2 bys and give it a spin and check the alignment of the gear. You will be able to see any serious wobble of the gear. Got a picture of your gear?

Back