cutting your own base gasket

JerboaJohn

Local time
8:43 AM
I need to make a base gasket for the 42.6mm cylinder since the 48cc gasket covers too much of the transfers and if I cut it, the outer edge is too thin. I found some blank gasket material on fleabay, in this pack there's .020 and .040 sheets tho I'd like best if there was 030,,
has anyone cut a base gasket? wondering if Autozone, Oreilly's etc has a blank material thatd be good but I can't find anything from autozone's website
maybe I can cut the stud holes out inboard from a 66cc gasket then try to match the transfers on the case n jug?

I always cut my own from paperboard. It's free and comes in various thicknesses. Easiest way for me is to pull the studs out and put masking tape over the top of the case. Trim it then stick the tape template on the paperboard to copy it. I try to keep an original copy for the engine. Don't forget to soak the gasket with 2 stroke oil.

hmm I might be ok with thick paper cardboard. maybe I have a spiral notebook I can cut. cereal box is too thin. I really only ride 3 or 4 trips a year and if it lasts a summer of 150 miles n redo it next year maybe it'll be ok. I'll trace the gasket from the 48cc one and I have a sheet of clear notebook plastic I can draw on and erase/redraw. no exacto knife tho. just a box knife blade. this is not as easy as it looks!!

just did and am still doing that same thing to the motor i polished and matched the case it just spits fuel everywhere it wants to run havent messed with it in a bit but im about to rebuild my first bike and it fits that frame perfect

found a dremel box that is 045, tho it's layered cardboard bcs I didn't have any single paperboard things I could hack up. single layer is best bcs this doesn't cut clean. cereal box cuts nice but it's like .025,,
it's sad I have this cg cylinder that was never assembled and sold in complete engines, at least in recent years afaik. gaskets are not available for 55cc. this should last 150 miles I hope b4 turning into mush! I remember cutting exhaust gaskets they leaked out after only an hour and got burned up :LOL:
roughing it out:

Tractor Supply and other Farm stores often have gasket material.
I got a roll from my grandpa 4 years ago and it just keeps going. :) I use my laser cutter and a pdf for most of my gaskets.

Yep works great. Load up a pdf or even a photo and it will cut or ectch glass, metal, plastic and so on. Nice thing is I can put a gasket in it and it will measure it then cut a perfect copy.

Last edited:
Tractor Supply and other Farm stores often have gasket material.
I got a roll from my grandpa 4 years ago and it just keeps going. :) I use my laser cutter and a pdf for most of my gaskets.
I’ve laser cut a cork gasket for an oil pan seal. That worked pretty well, if you’re open to other materials. Not sure about rubber.

I know this thread is over a year old
I'll post this again, so others wanting to make Cyl base gaskets can make their life easy.

Ole Skol way of doing things

Last edited:
Back