CVT transmission used on the NE-R:

Hal the Elder

Local time
4:27 PM
I don't know what the mechanical configuration of the CVT system as used on the Whizzer NE-R comprises, but I would assume it to be the VDP type (variable-diameter pulley), in which the v-belt is made to ride higher and lower within the driving and driven pulleys to produce a continuous band of gear ratios within their limits.

That concept is understandable, but how are the pulleys made to increase and decrease their effective internal diameters? This has to be done by "compressing" and "spreading" the pulley halves to accomplish this, to both the driving pulley and the driven pulley simultaneously, as the v-belt is a fixed circumference.

I would like to see fixed detents in this variable system to simulate three or four fixed gear ratios selectable with a "shift" lever by the rider, in addition to the continuously variable action of the drive. Further, I would like to see a "slip clutch" arrangement for completely disconnecting the CVT drive from the rear wheel pulley, to establish a neutral setting, just like the old "slip-clutch" Whizzers.

This way, one could "rev up" the engine while waiting at a stop light, just like the mighty Davidsons!

That's all...
HAL

Last edited:
I would like to see fixed detents in this variable system to simulate three or four fixed gear ratios selectable with a "shift" lever by the rider, in addition to the continuously variable action of the drive. Further, I would like to see a "slip clutch" arrangement for completely disconnecting the CVT drive from the rear wheel pulley, to establish a neutral setting, just like the old "slip-clutch" Whizzers.

This way, one could "rev up" the engine while waiting at a stop light, just like the mighty Davidsons!

That's all...
HAL
Wow your not asking too much. lol
I am really hoping the the CVT works the way it is supposed to. That would make me happy.

Jim

Cvt

Hmmm NO mec hanical shifting is LEGAL! NO 2-speed, 3-spped, whatever. Not gonna happen with Moped Laws.

If shifting is what you want Buy a Motorcycle or a Manual Shift Car.

Shifting is NOT legal for Mopeds in the US check your local laws.

Mike

ride that MB thing Hal

I guess I won't develop the system then.
HAL

well that's for the best Hal

all of those gearing systems have been around FOR A LONG TIME

I guess now you understand Hal
the shifting of gears
may take us out of our perferred status of motorized bicycles

but - yes we know - it's a thought that just comes in NATURALLY
the wanting to add gears -- OPENS MANY MORE DOORS !!!!

ride that MB thing Hal

NuVinci hubs are fully auto and so are Torq-a-vertors (Comet) commonly used with lawnmower type engines quite a bit on go carts, **** OCC even built a full custom chopper with a 24 horseB/S and a Torq_A-Vertor:devilish:

You should have enough HP to NOT need gears for just a bicycle. Even guys on 26cc have one gear. The horsepower alone should determine the ratio while accelerating on the CVT, so there is NO need to shift anyway.

How fast are you trying to go???

I get enough speed with a just Centrifugal clutch! (50MPH)

The only reason I see for you using a CVT (I want to do this) is to get steadier smoother drive at lower speeds with still the capability of fast speeds. A centrifugal clutch is rough at slower speeds while a CVT picks up smoother . If you build your bike with the CVT, you can use lower gearing for more torque, and still have high speed when the CVT is at full speed and highest gearing.

Have fun and...........

Crazy Riding!
ZnsaneRyder

NuVinci hubs are fully auto and so are Torq-a-vertors (Comet) commonly used with lawnmower type engines quite a bit on go carts, **** OCC even built a full custom chopper with a 24 horseB/S and a Torq_A-Vertor:devilish:

The nuvinci isn't full auto though I read somewhere that the company is moving in that direction. You still have to shift manually with it.
As far as MB's needing a CVT... they don't, but without one they're severely limited in the type of riding that can be done. With a fixed gearing the engine will struggle and lose most of its power when riding at very slow speeds due to lack of torque. This is why most MB's suck for offroading and climbing steep hills. When we gear down to do these type of activities our top speed gets severely restricted and moves the comfortable cruising speed way down. With a CVT or other on the fly transmissions you're no longer stuck in one gear ratio when you go out for a ride. Sure, most motoredbikers won't need the ability to shift gearing but that doesn't mean the advantages aren't there. I can take my NuVinci anywhere, up any hill and over any terrain I'm comfortable or able to ride. It will pull me up craggy off road inclines that I otherwise have to walk my pedalbike up without pedaling at all and at half throttle if I gear low enough. We definitely need some low priced CVT or manual transmission kits on the market. If they can make a pocket bike with all the accessories and doo-dads that a full size motorcycle has for well under $1000 it's far from impossible to create a kit that will give a bike all that ability.

I guess Fully Auto was a poor choice of words when explaining to someone unfamiliar with the NuVinci hub. Shifting is required, but no clutching. Just throttle syncronization when making shifts or actually "adjustments" in the hub. Kind of like a pitch adjustment in an airplane propellor....sounds good to me!

In cal. we can have two speeds but it has to be auto. This accommodates the Tomos moped. If you could get a CVT on the Whizzer I think you could get away with it, you start out in one gear and it ends up in another, LOL. Have fun, Dave

Back