Cylinder bore hone or not?

Rapidrob

Local time
12:00 AM
I just picked up a Tanaka QMB-23 Bikebug. The engine was not used for 35 years and the piston had no compression. I found the top piston ring was rusted in a compressed condition and was cracked in half.
This engine has a steel sleeve that looks to be polished smooth intentionally. I can see a few very light scratches in the bore of the sleeve. Should I take a cylinder hone and do a cross hatch pattern in the bore like a "normal" engine? You can just feel the few scratches with your thumb nail. The cylinder is still round in the bore. No lips had been made. Everything else with the engine and drive are in very good to like new condition after I replaced the fuel lines which had hardened with age.
Thank you for any info you may have.

The sleeve (piston liner) seeing polished and the cross lines of boring faded are result of normal wear.

I would change the piston and rings, so I would hone the cylinder to break in the new rings like usually.

I honed out the bore last night and got a nice cross hatch pattern. No metal was removed. I used a brake cylinder three fingered hone and it worked very well.

The parts have shown up to repair the piston and the Carb. When I put the parts in the engine,is there/are anything else I should look for or do to make the repair?
Thank you.

Back