Engine Trouble Cylinder coating question

Kawa97

Local time
3:13 PM
Can anyone tell me whats going on here what is that residue on the cylinder ,also is this cylinder coated, and if it is how thick is it, can it be bored to remove the old coating and re-coated ?, its a Kawasaki cylinder from the 70s , were they originally coated from the factory ?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 202
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 157
Can anyone tell me whats going on here what is that residue on the cylinder ,also is this cylinder coated, and if it is how thick is it, can it be bored to remove the old coating and re-coated ?, its a Kawasaki cylinder from the 70s , were they originally coated from the factory ?
Yeah that was chrome plated and maybe 1/4 thou thick,it can be striped and rechromed or Nikasil plated U.S has quite a few places that do it.

Yeah that was chrome plated and maybe 1/4 thou thick,it can be striped and rechromed or Nikasil plated U.S has quite a few places that do it.

Is it really that thick, thats almost 6mm ?

Unfortunately im located in Europe, would sleeving be better option then coating, its a air cooled, can sleeves run to hot and cause excessive wear ?

Is it really that thick, thats almost 6mm ?

Unfortunately im located in Europe, would sleeving be better option then coating, its a air cooled, can sleeves run to hot and cause excessive wear ?
You may be able to get it sleeved but then you'll also have to source suitable rings for it.I would think there is places to do Nikasil plating in Europe you guys run lot's of small displacement 2 strokes and most of the scooter shops should know where to get it done.

You may be able to get it sleeved but then you'll also have to source suitable rings for it.I would think there is places to do Nikasil plating in Europe you guys run lot's of small displacement 2 strokes and most of the scooter shops should know where to get it done.
So I take it Nikasil uses iron rings?

1/4000" is 0.00635mm

Oops, not familiar with inches or the american metric system, originally it had a coating i thing chrome or maybe electrofusion, I am restoring this engine and already have the original cylinder,that is sleeved, but will need new sleeve and would also like to have a spare that was done like at the factory which is coated

Back