Cylinder Repair

RoadDawg

Local time
12:11 PM
Has anyone tried this method for their worn, flaking chrome cylinders??? I know its expensive but I like to know the pros and cons.

"PowerSeal USA can also recondition the cast aluminum cylinders plated with chrome from the 1970s and 1980s. Most OEMs have since abandoned use of chrome bores in favor of the superior thermal properties and reduced environmental impact of nickel silicon carbide. PowerSeal USA will strip the chrome from the aluminum casting and replace it with NikaSeal, honed to the proper diameter and surface finish."

Just chuck the old cylinder in the bin and get a new one. Don't be too worried about chrome flaking off.

Typically i get 4,000 kilometers (2,500 miles) out of a cylinder, before the chrome has completely worn away at the top of the bore. Even so, the engine still makes reasonable power with the rings running on plain aluminium, though not as well as when they were running on chrome.

For $30 you can buy a brand new cylinder.

what surprises me is that the aluminum is hard enough to allow rings running directly on it.
if $200 is nothing to you then get it replated. send them your piston/rings also so they can make the plating thick enough to give you the correct ring end gap which the stock cylinder does not do, allowing the gap to be 3 times normal therefore allowing blowby and causing power loss