Cylinder

Carcher

Local time
10:52 PM
Cleaning up my cylinder and piston. My piston with the pins for the rings is facing the exhaust side I've been driving it like this for several years. DO I now reverse the piston so it faces the intake side or keep it the way it is? If so why since I've been running it facing opposite for years( any senior help) i can have them facing the intake if I have to!!! I'm putting new rings on while I got it torn down.

Cleaning up my cylinder and piston. My piston with the pins for the rings is facing the exhaust side I've been driving it like this for several years. DO I now reverse the piston so it faces the intake side or keep it the way it is? If so why since I've been running it facing opposite for years( any senior help) i can have them facing the intake if I have to!!! I'm putting new rings on while I got it torn down.
The ring pins should ALWAYS be facing the intake side...It is cooler on the intake side vs the exhaust side due to fuel washing in the intake and since the ring pins are a dissimilar metal inserted into the aluminum piston, the extra heat on the exhaust side eventually works the pins loose and wreck the motor.

How you have gotten away so long with it being in there backwards is beyond me, but the correct way is the pins need to be on the intake side.

The ring pins should ALWAYS be facing the intake side...It is cooler on the intake side vs the exhaust side due to fuel washing in the intake and since the ring pins are a dissimilar metal inserted into the aluminum piston, the extra heat on the exhaust side eventually works the pins loose and wreck the motor.

How you have gotten away so long with it being in there backwards is beyond me, but the correct way is the pins need to be on the intake side.
Thank you Damien I will do just as you say and move my piston to the intake side where the pins will be Thank you

Do not reverse the piston since you have ran the engine quite a bit. If you are replacing the cylinder & piston, then install the piston with the pins facing correctly.

Back