Cylindrical Lipo Batteries (12v)

What is different? Something cool I'm guessing.

Not to be secretive but I think I got three new features for the electric bike. The first two are key and the last is a nice to have. I want to show it to Court from ElectricBikeReview and see what he says. If it gains some steam I like to start a Kick Starter for it and if not I'll see what you guys think here I should do. At the very least, I like the bike to get the industry to start talking about the features so companies with deeper pockets can make a proper bike. I'll try to get the bike going soon so at sometime I can show all of you... :confused:

Be careful of what kind of cells you use. My 500 watt, 36V speed controller can pull about 15A, max. The maximum safe discharge rate for old ICR cells is 1C, so for 3000mAh cells, they can handle 3A, so I would have to run at least 5 in parallel (as well as 10 in series) to do it safely. On the other hand, IMR or INR cells can discharge at about 10C, so just one in parallel can do the job, easily. Expect those to set you back about $5 per cell. If you want to run some crazy amount of power, do the math, @48V, 1000 watts needs more like 20A, whilst those 3000 watt motors mentioned will require more than 60A, so we are talking 20 ICR cells in parallel, or 2 IMR or INR cells in parallel. Make sure you know what kind you are buying, don't just search for "18650", most of the hits will be ICR cells, make sure you search for "IMR 18650".

That real make sense. :) Yes, there are different types of 18650 battery cells, with various capacities and discharge current range. Normally, for a 500W motor, 36V 15Ah battery pack made of the ICR 18650 is workable, if use the INR or IMR type 18650, the capacity of the battery pack can be smaller, but discharge time is shorter, with riding range shorter accordingly. If same battery pack capacity with INR type 18650, the life-long cycling performance would be much better than that of the ICR 18650 battery pack.

Besides, the maximum power and maximum peak current of the motor are quite important parameters as well, especially for the e-bikes that intended for both American market and European markets, the maximum power can be much bigger than the rated power, which need the INR type Li-ion 18650 battery.

Good to see knowledgeable ebike builders here. I am gonna start building a "different" type of ebike soon and am brushing up on my battery and motor knowledge. Do you make your own battery packs and if so what batteries do you use and where do you get them? :confused:

For your reference, the most popular Li-ion 18650 applied for e-bike battery packs are Samsung 18650-22P, 29E, Panasonic 18650 29PF, LG 18650 M26, MH1, MJ1, with high cost effective and perfect cycling performance.

Not to be secretive but I think I got three new features for the electric bike. The first two are key and the last is a nice to have. I want to show it to Court from ElectricBikeReview and see what he says. If it gains some steam I like to start a Kick Starter for it and if not I'll see what you guys think here I should do. At the very least, I like the bike to get the industry to start talking about the features so companies with deeper pockets can make a proper bike. I'll try to get the bike going soon so at sometime I can show all of you... :confused:
Better be 2 wheel drive and regenerative braking.

Back