Dag nab it, happened again

K

kerf

Went on a pre-dawn ride today, was in a turn lane behind a pickup. Light changed and we started down the turn lane when the bike started to rumble. I made the turn and pulled over to find my muffler bracket had scummed to vibration and my muffler was a block way in the middle of the other lane. Anyway, retrieved the muffler and came home for repairs, which were completed without incident. That's when things turned sour.

I had set the bike off the two sawhorses and sheet of plywood that I was using as an "operating table" and cranked her up. The throttle was stuck wide open (again) and when it caught, she took off. I only had a handful of starter rope, the bike pulled a four foot wheel stand and luckily plowed into the operating table and I managed to pull it down on its side. After I shut her down I noticed 5 feet of skid mark on the floor from tire spin. This time, it looks like I escaped without damage. Seems like I learn ever so slow.

TwoWalks

Local time
1:37 PM
Went on a pre-dawn ride today, was in a turn lane behind a pickup. Light changed and we started down the turn lane when the bike started to rumble. I made the turn and pulled over to find my muffler bracket had scummed to vibration and my muffler was a block way in the middle of the other lane. Anyway, retrieved the muffler and came home for repairs, which were completed without incident. That's when things turned sour.

I had set the bike off the two sawhorses and sheet of plywood that I was using as an "operating table" and cranked her up. The throttle was stuck wide open (again) and when it caught, she took off. I only had a handful of starter rope, the bike pulled a four foot wheel stand and luckily plowed into the operating table and I managed to pull it down on its side. After I shut her down I noticed 5 feet of skid mark on the floor from tire spin. This time, it looks like I escaped without damage. Seems like I learn ever so slow.

Why do I get this vision of a guy running down the street chasing a riderless bicycle :D

Glad there was no damage to life or property

Mountainman

Local time
been there and done that -- with other machines

man oh man --- I know --- IT HAPPENS SO FAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank God no one got hurt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

be careful when we ride that thing Mountainman

K

kerf

I think, while working on the muffler, I inadvertently pulled the throttle cable housing out of the adjustment fitting on the carb.

tinman

Local time
12:37 PM
Maybee you should think of some kind of saftey kill switch. I'm thinking of somthing like some jet skiis use. a small lanyard to a pin killswitch so if ya fall off or somthing happens, were it gets away from you, it stops.

srdavo

Local time
2:37 PM
:)

this is the first time I've seen this thread......too funny!!

woulda been a sight to see!!

Thanks Kerf, for sharing!!

Mountainman

Local time
maybe it's our age ?? still learning at 58

This time, it looks like I escaped without damage. Seems like I learn ever so slow.

well I relate to this
but also admit
this still learning at 58 years old -- get's kind of old

but -- you escaped without damage

it don't get better than that !!!

ride that THING and best while on the seat when we do it

K

kerf

Sometime I'll tell you what I've learned from nail guns. You ever seen a 58 YO fat man jump around the shop like a baboon. Just glad no women and children were present.