Dahon Mariner - looking to add chain drive

ElementX

Local time
1:33 PM
Ok, I just picked up an old Dahon Mariner today and I'm pretty excited. I have no idea how old it is, but its in pretty good condition. The only thing it needs is a new front wheel. The current one spins far from true and the hub seems very loose.

This isn't mine, but looks exactly like it:
kl%20mara%20stores%200707006.jpg

I plan on adding a Staton chain drive to this very soon. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

If anyone has pics of their motorized Dahon's, post them up! Thanks!

I cut my teeth on a 20" Dahon Mariner. First install was a Staton friction drive w/Subaru engine.

With 1.125" roller, it was a perfect match as a starter MB, with top speed of 27mph.

Then I installed a Staton chain drive with 18.75:1 gearing. That's when I began to feel the bike's squirrelly handling characteristics.

Too much power for a small bike...for me as a noobie. Top speed was probably low-30's mph.

Once I became serious about commuting and yearned to ride the highways, I removed the 2.2hp Mitsubishi and chain drive.

:unsure:Then I gave the Dahon away and moved up to 26" bicycles.

Well, I called Staton and ordered the chain drive w/Robin EH035 for the 20" Dahon. I also ordered a rear wheel thats set up for this kit, but they said it wasn't on hand and would take a few days.

I also ordered a friction drive kit, minus the engine, for my 26" mountain bike. I'll be using this one with the Honda GX25 that I already have on hand.

Next step is to get new tires. The tires that came with my Dahon are Tioga slicks 20x1.75. I am going to replace them with some good street/commuting tires that can handle some rain and gravel. These tires can get pretty expensive. I'm gonna limit myself to tires under $20.

What sizes are your rollers, and how fast do you wanna go?

How much do you weigh?

I ordered the friction drive with the 7/8" roller since I'll be using a GX25 with that one.

I'm ~180 and not really looking to go fast. I would like to be able to propell myself on a slight uphill grade without having to go full throttle...or whatever that range is right before the engine pitch gets twice as high. :D If I can go 5mph up a medium hill, that'd be great. Hopefully I will be able to cruise around 15mph on flat land without having to give it too much gas.

When the kits show up, I will work on the friction drive first since that should be quick and easy on my 26" mountain bike.

:unsure: oh and after reading some stuff about electric conversions, I'm thinking this dahon frame would make a good platform for adding a big heavy battery. The frame area right above the crank would allow me to easily strap down a couple small 7-10ah 12v batteries. How to figure out what kit is affordable.

I have always thought a folder with a friction drive would be a great way to travel, by bus, train or rental car and have the bike for when I got there. It will be a project in the near future.

One thought that deserves great consideration, friction drives aren't worth a flip when they get WET ! Not bashing friction drives, that's what I ride ! Just giving you a heads up !

Have you looked at trying to repair the front wheel & hub ? Easy to do, & not $$ if a shop does it, either.

Back