"damaged cylinder" /review of Power-King 80

G

gone_fishin

someone briefly mentioned a broken skirt falling off inside and chewing things up. bg joe i think.

i'm helping quay and friend with their "power king 80"...i was there when it was delivered & if i wrote a review of overall quality on the kit out of the box, it would get a "mostly below par."

anyway, they tried to re-seal the jug gasket ahead of time while they wait for the bicycle to arrive...i wasn't there i promise.

in the process, one cylinder-skirt on the casting was cracked (both ends) and one ring was broken. i have a spare ring if it fits. i applied light steady pressure to the skirt with a piece of wood til it cracked off. i figured it would break off all the way back to any weak spots and it did just that. the middle third of it is still there & it looks mighty clean, metallurgy-wise. pics tomorrow when i get back over there.

i'm tempted to try it & i need to know...before things got crunchy, did the engine run ok as far as compression, leaks, etc?

augi- no broken skirts here!

Anyhow, if you can post a picture, it will help. I don't have that part in my extensive library (two) of "exploded views". (can anyone help with that?...I need one of the head/jug/ect.)

If it's broken in the "right place" and not too much material is gone, you may get away with it if you file the rough edges smooth before continuing.

I am thinking "new jug".

yup, but i'm also thinking: spend no more money with power-king, limp thru on this one until a better kit can be purchased.

doggone it, i can't find the post where someone said something about theirs breaking off....

augidog said:
yup, but i'm also thinking: spend no more money with power-king, limp thru on this one until a better kit can be purchased.

doggone it, i can't find the post where someone said something about theirs breaking off....

Augi-maybe this is the post you were searching for...this i copy/paste (with violet color added by me to show relevancy) from inside my engines in General Discussion:
try1897 (Chinese 80cc)

Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:17 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey thanks for the info. I'll do that with the one washer and nut. I thought it strange that the Kings engine had a lock washer to be honest I didn't think it needed one. But five washers just to use the acorn nut ??????? I don't know but that seems wrong somehow. Dac's engine # one was totaled . One whole side of the piston skirt was missing and had smashed up the wrist pin bushing and locked up the crank with parts and pieces going south . It cracked one side of the case on the bottom. It broke both piston rings but to my surprise the jug itself looks to have survived. It looks smooth and has a nice shine to it. Un beleiveable .Engine # two looked good and was froze up so I used a wooden drift and knocked the jug off and discovered the piston in OK shape . The jug suffered badly though and is useless. This one the whole bottom end is OK and If I use the jug and piston from # one it could actually run. I've been thinking about going heavy on the oil and giving it a slow go tomorrow to see what happens. I assume that with a different piston and new rings if all holds together and I oil the beans out of it kinda like breakin all could be well.(?????) Nothing beats a try ......We'll see later Tom in WV

dat's da one...thanks, spunout :)

i think we're gonna try it. pics later this morning, if shane don't have to work today.

it's me, augie, over at quay's place, here's the jug:
766_MVC392F_1.jpg

we're gonna file it clean & try it, can't start it up until maybe later, bicycle is due for delivery this afternoon. more to come...stay tuned.

FYI, a Power King "80"
766_MVC393F_1.jpg

flimsy head-studs are the same as mounting bolts, no grommet for magneto wiring, plastic throttle/killswitch assembly, rusty tank, painted rear sprocket & light-duty hardware, light-duty tensioner, inferior intake and exhaust flanges/welding, crummy muffler, very short cables. bleh...

augie again.

oh, well...show's over. the spare ring i had from my dax 70 is way too big.

--------------70cc from thatsdax------------------------"80cc" from Power King
766_MVC394F_1.jpg

i'm calling shenanigens on Power King & justblissful of ebay!!! :censored:

augi, a couple of things....the skirting looks like it covers over where the bypass ports are, might not run without the skirting. Second thing is if you put the ring inside the king's jug, and file the ends until the gap is correct, .003? it may work. But I think the point is moot anyhow.

...and yeah, I'm calling more than shenanigans on that one!

50cc?

Not good advertising for them eh wot?

correction, joe...the skirt doesn't cover the ports, gaps are already on each side to avoid just that.

good advice on the ring, if they wind up getting stuck with this crooked deal we'll do it. problem is, they broke it, sooo....

Back