CVT Dax 10T Doesn't Fit, But...

i get it now.

you are actually doing very well over all.

with under 2 HP a 25mph topend is not unreasonable. if you get the gearing down lower you will still hold on to most of the topend and have more of the full ratio span of the cvt.

keep at it, the bikes too nice to look at to give up on.

steve

Yeah, I got a log...
...it's called a credit card statement!
HAHA
Thanks for the input CBR. Stop being such a stranger. AND... What are you working on of late???
WC

No prob.

I'm super overextended.
No more projects for me right now..........Gotta finish the ones I have.
From learning about soil mixes for my new cacti hobby,
to having 4, yes 4 motorized projects in the works. Uggh.

1. 1986 Honda Aero converted into a standup scooter,
got it for $25, got it running well, and found out it would be $400 to get it registered! So I'm turn it into a goped, which needs no reg.

2. Recumbent BMX bike conversion with a 80cc 4 stroke chinese DOT motor/wheel assembly (internal CVT) I'm posting about it in "Recumbents"

3. Chopper ped, standup scoot made from a very cool
Schwinn Stingray Chopper Scooter. Have you seen those? It will be awesome.

4. Rebuilding a Santa Cruz Scooter Works Boxer FS-2 scoot,
and rebuilding it's Bluebird 52cc motor.

Once all these are done, I will go back to my main MB and add the CVT.
These projects just crept up on me.
Each one is about a week's worth of work away from being done.
I plan on starting tomorrow or the next day to get them done.
I'm going to muscle thru....

Now, back to your CVT issues.
Yes, the 1.6hp motor is the only limiting factor.
A 25mph top speed is totally right for that motor.
I would just experiment with the heavier weights, and the gearing changes mentioned earlier.
I bet you'll be able to find the right mix, it just takes time.
(BTW, impact wrench is the best tool to take off the vari nut.
Saved me so much headache)

not sure if this will help anyone but.during my metal scrap yard adventures ive came across two sprockets off of pocket bikes that were the size of bicycle chains.the sprockets have twelve teeth.i cant locate them on the internet tho.i also scored two of the cvt`s from there.i still have one and sold the other for 40.

Top speed depends on a couple of variables but in a no-wind situation on flat ground I'm hitting 24-26 MPH. I have many times hit 28-30 but with a slight tail wind. Funny thing, a few times I have hit 6000 RPM and still only got 28 MPH. Other times I'm revving 57-5800 and doing 30! Under same conditions. I have a 56T sprocket I want to re-try with the 12T but haven't gotten around to it yet. The last time I tried it I was really disappointed in the result. It popped off the line but top end was not good. But that was with the DAX 10T that self destructed. This 12T is much better quality and showing NO sign of wear yet.
Maybe I'll swap the rear sprockets today as I had a flat on the back and want to try the tire-in-a-tire deal. While the wheel is off would be a good time to swap. I really don't think it will help top end at all with the CVT. Even if it lets the engine rev slightly higher I don't think it will be enough to send the belt to the top of the pully. I'm not complaining though. That little engine is working its heart out for me and I'm good with my top end speed.

Back