Dax 70 cc motor diagram?

• Thread starter Keepthedrivetommy
  • Start date
slide the cylinder all the way off and it will reveal the piston/rings in all their glory
if you are uncomfortable doing this, perhaps you could take it to a small engine shop and have them do it, they may let you watch, so the next time you could do it yourself
hope that helps :)

The head is the part on top. You removed that or else you could see the hole (bore of the cylinder) then you slid the cylinder off (the rest of the part above the crankcase with fins). If the piston is too low, use a wrench to rotate the sprocket to move the crank that the piston is attached to. The piston will rise up (just like it does in the cylinder) and you will be able to grab it, wiggle it around, kind of inspect under it (not a lot of room, perhaps a small mirror would help). If worse comes to worse, you remove the clips holding the wristpin in place and press it out, freeing the piston completely.

this is what I got so far. I unscrew the top 4 nuts, and the top part comes off, but I cant grab the piston. I was able to move the piston up, but it moves right back down before it reaches out of the hole. I dont know if there is more to take off, like the rest of the motor casing with all those fins. What do i do from here?

Attachments

• IMG_8167.JPG
    IMG_8167.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_8166.JPG
    IMG_8166.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_8165.JPG
    IMG_8165.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 300
slide the cylinder all the way off and it will reveal the piston/rings in all their glory
if you are uncomfortable doing this, perhaps you could take it to a small engine shop and have them do it, they may let you watch, so the next time you could do it yourself
hope that helps :)

I agree with azkronic. take it to a small engine/lawn mower shop. in the past, I have taken things apart that NEVER went back together.

fyi....you can check your wrist pin without removing the piston from the cylinder. thank augie for that tip. best of luck to ya.

finally, I got the rest off. I decided to take a look at my magneto, just incase, and it doesnt look so good, but maybe it wont make a difference. Before I took all this apart, I took it out for another ride, and things have gotten worse. Now, I am losing power once I get up to 26 mph, and cant really accelerate without the engine losing a lot of power. Then I let off the throttle for a second or two, and then accelerate again, but it loses power again. This is gettin bad. Where do I go from here, under the piston, right? How do I take the piston off?

Attachments

• IMG_8260.JPG
    IMG_8260.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_8257.JPG
    IMG_8257.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 274
Then I let off the throttle for a second or two, and then accelerate again, but it loses power again.

Now that is starting to sound like it might be a fuel supply problem (or an oiling problem). On a 4 stroke, I'd reach down an shoot a shot of ether in to see if the motor sped up but I'm sure that would be bad for a 2 stroke. How about pressing the primer bulb down during the stumble to push the float down and let more fuel in. (I'm trying to think of some way to, for sure, push extra fuel down the throat). Could you work your speed up by accelerating, rolling off a little, accelerating again, rolling off a little, etc? Or was there just a max RPM that the motor would refuse to exceed?

its more of a max rpm that my engine wont exceed, which stops me from getting above 27 or so. If I dont let off the throttle for long enough, then the motor stays in that state of power loss. I was thinking that it had to be something with the carb or feeding gas into the motor because that is the most logical thing, if the motor wont go faster, it is because it needs more fuel, thus something must be restricting it, but I dont know how to check for that.

A lot of people say that they open up their carbs and clean them out, but I again, dont know how to open it up without messing something up.

Also, I have noticed that there seems to always be a constant film of gas mixture covering the underside of my carb, motor, and the entire area around my fuel tank cap. Also, the carb just seems to be covered in the mixture completely. I clean it off, and ride it, the next day, everything seems to be covered again. Not a terrible amount, just greasy. Is this normal?

taking out the wrist pin

alright,
I had to put this all aside for a while because school was getting pretty hectic, but Im back. i LOOKED inside the hole on the side of the piston, im guessing that's the wristpin connection rod, or something with the wrist pin, and I noticed that there was a slight dark line circling the inside of this hole. I think that it looks like a crack. So now, all I need to know is how to take out the wrist pin, or take off the piston, so I can see if anything really is broken and replace it, then I can be on my happy way. The other thing that I noticed was that the piston actually wobbles around a lot. I can jiggle it side to side, or up and down a little. Its not very stable.

Back