Carby Dax Carb

agreed. also, if you overtighten the carb "cap" it'll warp the barrel just enuff to hang the slide up top.

Dax kits are CHEAP? You mean "inexpensive"....but yeah, cheap too. that's why they are affordable. If it was built in the U.S.A, it would cost 5-600 dollars!

They are from China, you know. I had to tweak EVERY LAST ASPECT of mine. The slide was so tight, I had to use a screw driver to pry it out, and it took a good half hour of sanding before it worked.

But that's half the fun. I know the whole engine intimately now and have had my hands on almost every last part, inside and out. (not the crank though)

Plus, you could spend 4-500 dollars for one that worked O.K. right out of the box.

I liked mine so much, I got another on the way!

These engines require some basic mechanical knowledge and those who don't have it shouldn't blame the kit for their problems. There will be needed adjustments of various aspects of the install throughout the ownership experience. You can't set it and forget it with these engines, they are not high tech.

If your background experience in maintenance is limited to filling up the gas tank then you should consider an electric motor.

I personally enjoy tweaking my motor bikes. I enjoy looking things over and making adjustments as necessary whether it be engine mount bolts/nuts, headbolts that need retightening, carb that needs an idle speed (mixture screw to some :) ) adjustment, or fiddling with the choke setting to get the perfect instant start on first start of the day.

I don't have an issue with newbie questions but I do take exception when they seek to find external explanations (faults) for their general lack of knowledge.

FYI: Who are you to question my knowledge base and further more I 'm entitled to my opinion. I think the DAX kits are cheaply made PERIOD.
RCJUNKIE ........You can go pound sand for that comment!!!!!!!!!
I realize adjustments are needed however, when your changing gaskets on a brand new engine something's wrong. If DAX's knows this ia a problem why not correct the problem and use better gaskets or perhaps instruct the customer /consumer to replace and or inspect gaskets prior to use. There are many people who have had this same issue please see the other postings provided on this site. This is supposed to be a friendly site where people offer advise and share ideas. Perhaps I should of stated that "DAX Kits need improving" nevertheless you shouldn't of slammed me and assumed I have limited technical ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one on this forum is purposely out to make fun of another member who simply asked a question.

Do you have the standard metal intake manifold or chrome? There is a thread on this forum somewhere that says the chrome one has a significant air leak, and how to fix it.

Engine quality

I totally agree with Trader, All these kits come from the same factory in china. No matter where you buy your kit they are the same, only differance being stickers or paint. As for quality they are all crappy, they all use sub standard paper gaskets that dissolve when exposed to the elements. I would bet that there is no one here who hasnt replaced at least one of the chinese gaskets.
How do we know the quality is crap, just compare a japanese casting to a chinese one & it is obvious.
What should happen with all these dealers is that they should get onto China gas http://chinabestexporter.com/Page/main.asp
& tell them that the gaskets are sub standard & that they will no longer accept engines if the quality doesnt improve. This has been an on going problem for years, it is up to the dealers to stipulate quality issues with the manufaturer. The chinese probably produce these engines for less than $20 as can be seen in the quality or 2 bowls of rice which ever comes first.

I haven't had to change my gaskets...yet. I did a major quality control check on all parts as I assembled it though.

50 miles and so far, so good.

I would like to add that I knew these kits were cheap Chinese products, and I would have to tweak all the parts so they would work nicely. This aint the first time I've met up with Chinese cheapo stuf don't ya' know.

For me at least, part of the fun of these kits is the tweaking. They are definitely not for the "set it and forget it" crowd.

I bought a drill press a couple years back that came in a box, with a chuck and some other things I still haven't identified. It was 9.99 U.S.

I had to use my imagination to get a chuck with a keyway and no hole in the center onto a shaft that was smooth and had a hole tapped for the included allen bolt.

I baked the chuck for a half hour at 325 and coated the shaft with some Loctite sleeve retainer. I took the baked chuck and tapped it onto the shaft with a leather mallet. O.K., I beat on it until my arm hurt, but I got the chuck way up on the shaft. I came out the next morning and tried the drill press. It worked fine and has ever since.

The moral to the story is I paid 10 bucks (cheap) for a 1940's tech drill press, Made In China, that had no instructions except for a bunch of crazy jibberish, and parts that didn't match up. I had to think about it for awhile, and through imagination and determination, I made it work.

Kinda like these kits.

Sounds like some of your gentlemen would be well advised to simmer down
a little bit. This is supposed to be FUN, ya'll.

No need to get your panties in a twist!

After all, we're here discussing little gas engines that attatch to a bicycle.
This is not exactly super serious material, ya know?

For what it's worth, I would say that yes, these kits are cheap.
But you kind of have to expect that. As another poster said,
they are made in china, and they are very inexpensive.

Now, I don't know where ya'll are from, but in my neck of the woods,
thats a known formula for something being cheap crap!

They're still fun though, make no mistake. They just take a little
bit of "re-engineering"... :)

IMHO the tinkering is the best part :D
if it was easy, it wouldn't be as much fun for me
but, I always take stuff, alter it, and make it better (at least In my mind) :LOL: :LOL:

Back