DAX Titan 4 stroke ?'s

DetonatorTuning

Local time
3:42 PM
OK, i know this is a popular setup and there are some users here.

is anyone using this setup for ultimate speed ?

can anyone tell me what the peak rpm is on the Titan motor and how many teeth are on the engine shaft sprocket ? if i know that much i can run a gear calculator and work out my final drive.

my bike weighs 45#, i'm 135#. i want to cruise at 45mph. will a 34 tooth sprocket get me there with the Titan rack mount ?

thanks,
steve

edit, ooppps, might be important to also know what the internal reduction is on the DAX drive.

Last edited:
I'm running a 44t and I've ran it to 30 with still some juice left. My son weighs like half of me and he says he can do 35 easy. I think he's probably the same weight as you. He's skinny,man.
With a small enough sprocket that engine definitely has the power to take you there but like with all single speed kits you'll compromise in torque.
Peak RPM I dunno. I do know when it's maxing out it sounds like a washer machine. It's really cool.
Me? I like to cruise at about 20 knowing I got the extra juice.
Consistent 45 mph on a bicycle in my opinion is bordering on the screws loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Large,
i've found that the max engine rpm is 8550 but the output shaft speed(rpm) is likely less than that through the reduction box.

as far as i can tell the engine sprocket is 10 teeth.

i have this ? on both forms and was hoping maybe Duane would see them and chime in. i left a message for him, no reply yet.

steve

The lord knows that Large Filipino and I have had different views on several topics but on this one we're on the same page. A 45 mph top end and a 45 mph cruse are very different. Finding a bicycle power unit that will cruse at 45 is going to be difficult if not impossible. That being said, the issue is more one of the bicycle than the engine. They are not designed for these sustained speeds and this would be very dangerous. Tires, bearings and brakes are not up to the stresses these speeds will impose. It would be a good way to become very intimate with asphalt.

The lord knows that Large Filipino and I have had different views on several topics but on this one we're on the same page. A 45 mph top end and a 45 mph cruse are very different. Finding a bicycle power unit that will cruse at 45 is going to be difficult if not impossible. That being said, the issue is more one of the bicycle than the engine. They are not designed for these sustained speeds and this would be very dangerous. Tires, bearings and brakes are not up to the stresses these speeds will impose. It would be a good way to become very intimate with asphalt.

Kerf,
i apprc' and respect your points and opinion.

however, mountian bikes in the $500.00 dollar and up range are very well suited to this. most of them have hubs, bearings, forks, shocks and brakes that would serve for many light motorcycles.

also, "cruise" may have been misleading on my part. i have a 20ml. (one way) trip to work that is broken up into 4 pretty even 5ml. segments by stops or turns. what i want to do is get to 45-50 range in those segments and then back down to negotiate the transitions.

thanks,
steve

Know what your talking about, I've got one and we've been to the 45 mark several times but not for long. I'm just not much on prosthetic noses.

I have a Titan. I don't have a speedo mounted, and where I live, California, the max speed is 30mph. I have read that the 34 tooth that I have mounted will yield around 40mph, but officially I can only go 30mph. ;-) I would think you should go down to a 30 tooth to get the speed you're looking for. You'll have to pedal more (especially with hills), but you appear to be in good enough shape, based upon your weight, that this wouldn't be a problem. As always, be careful.

OK, i know this is a popular setup and there are some users here.

is anyone using this setup for ultimate speed ?

can anyone tell me what the peak rpm is on the Titan motor and how many teeth are on the engine shaft sprocket ? if i know that much i can run a gear calculator and work out my final drive.

my bike weighs 45#, i'm 135#. i want to cruise at 45mph. will a 34 tooth sprocket get me there with the Titan rack mount ?

thanks,
steve

edit, ooppps, might be important to also know what the internal reduction is on the DAX drive.

I see that you have already found out the the max rpm of the Titan is claimed to be 8550 rpm. Dax does not say wether that is with or without a load. The Power Take Off Unit/Reduction Box is said to be 5:1. and has a 10t driver. The Jackshaft has a pair of 10t drivers and the standard final driven sprocket on the wheel is a 44t. This all works out to 22:1 total reduction. These numbers when run thru a ratio/speed calculator comes up with 28.1 mph @ 8000 rpm and 30.1 mph @ 8550 rpm. I would speculat the cruise speed to be down around 7000 rpm wich comes in at 24.6 using the math. You can see that these calculations aren't close to the speeds claimed by Dax or several of the early users of this Kit. My guess is that even with a 36t final driven sprocket you will be well short of your target speed. I've read here that the Whizzer's are capable of the speeds you are looking for and I've read posts from owners of the Tanaka 47R that are claiming speeds of over 40mph. This is a very perplexing problem that the math of the ratio/speed calculations don't match up to the reported speeds.

ocscully

R460 - 11,000 rpm * Staton gear box 18.75 / 1 * Chain drive 1 / 1 * 26" Wheel

You do the math.

I must have been over revving my engine. I used a radar sign a block away from my house when I clocked my 30 mph speed. And I had some more juice. And I went up a small incline so it was all engine.
Now that radar sign has given me false readings in the past due to a car behind me going faster. But this go around there was no car.
Engine was definitely screaming. I only did this once.

Back