Dax's or grubee's

I used to build choppers for a living in the 60's, and did a lot of custom painting. The Schwinn is painted with spray bombs (Krylon). There is a technique to applying any spray paint, apply a lite coat just let it get tacky and apply two more keeping the edge wet, practice makes perfect. As for the ignition coil, the problem is that these ignitions are Capacitor Discharge, and you need to know where the components are, I suspect they are laminated inside the coil housing, if we knew the method they use we could adapt it from another engine. Thanks for the admiration, I am trying to make a board track looker now. Have fun Dave
PS: I suspect that if you get a coil that works it will keep going.

Great bikes

I used to build choppers for a living in the 60's, and did a lot of custom painting. The Schwinn is painted with spray bombs (Krylon). There is a technique to applying any spray paint, apply a lite coat just let it get tacky and apply two more keeping the edge wet, practice makes perfect. As for the ignition coil, the problem is that these ignitions are Capacitor Discharge, and you need to know where the components are, I suspect they are laminated inside the coil housing, if we knew the method they use we could adapt it from another engine. Thanks for the admiration, I am trying to make a board track looker now. Have fun Dave
PS: I suspect that if you get a coil that works it will keep going.

Well, I have another little problem. We had a light shower yesterday and the bike will not run today. That sucker just will not fire at all. It has been a cold blooded engine from the get go, I had to run it with full choke for almost a city block before it would run properly.

I think I shall just send it back to Dax and ask him how much to get it going properly. Sometimes it seems that a project is plagued with problems. I love the engine when it is running, but I need something I can depend on. Hampered with the onset of winter and no place to really tear into an engine I am in a quandary.

Oh well, time will tell.
Tom

Do you have the kill switch hooked up? If so try running with it disconnected, that is odd for you to have so many problems. Have fun, Dave

my bike ran funky after a rain or in high humidity so i adjusted the lide needle one notch up and it dont do that no more

I would have to agree with Mike. I've gotten to know Dennis Foster & learned a great deal about grube,s from him. I Have seen most of the 2 strokes & even the grubee cooling fins are heavier than some of the others. By the way Mike, I spoke with your wife a few evenings ago about some whizzer stuff & she was very helpful. planning on building a whizzer after current project.

Dennis is good people

I would have to agree with Mike. I've gotten to know Dennis Foster & learned a great deal about grube,s from him. I Have seen most of the 2 strokes & even the grubee cooling fins are heavier than some of the others. By the way Mike, I spoke with your wife a few evenings ago about some whizzer stuff & she was very helpful. planning on building a whizzer after current project.

When I got my first motorized bike I had a lot of problems and Dennis was right there to help me. He is one fellow Okie I have nothing but good to say anything about.

I have most of my bike problems settled now. As soon as I get my master links I shall be back on the road again. I broke the master link while I was getting the chain aligned and have misplaced my two spare master links. By the end of next week I'll be up and going again.

BTW, anyone know where to find half links for the drive chain? Here in Salt Lake City it is hard to get anything considered "off standard" by the locals.

Would you believe there aren't very many "Whizzer" type bikes here in this town. There are a few electric bikes. Almost all the gas driven motorized bikes are sold for off-road use.

I do not use the tension pulley, I adjust the chain tension with the back wheel. As the chain stretches I move the wheel back until it won't go any further. Then, when it won't go back any further I remove two links, move the wheel forward and start all over again. I just threw out four unused rollers I had no used for. They were picking up dust.

Have a good one,
Tom

I woud like to point out that there is several other vendors of these engines, some sell on ebay UK. There is one based in China, although the name escapes me. Very good quality at a good price. The clutch is a very good one, it has a lever to engage the clutch and a button to release it. When you pull the brakes hard the clutch is automaticaly disengaged. The only problem was the brackets for the fuel tank, which were to small. the throttle was also a bit flimsy.

BSA

My Dax Engine works fine

Right now, I am trying to find a high speed sprocket to put on asingle speed bike. The single speed I just bought has a late model hub that seems to be about a sixteenth of an inch larger than the hole in the sprocket. Living in a small apartment, I do not have a drill press to enlarge the hole.

As soon as this problem is solved, I shall build another bike from the ground up. I plan to ride fron Salt Lake City to Denver this coming spring just to see if my seventy-four year old bones will take it. I'm researching bike trails and county roads where it is legal to ride a bike to see if this is feasible.

Tom

Tombird - I used a 1/4 round file to enlarge the hole. I took a felt pen and drew a margin around the hole and file'd till the line was gone, the sprocket is soft and only took a few minutes.

Back