Day trip to the annual Wisconsin Farm Technology Days

Wolfshoes

Local time
10:29 PM
This week I took a motorbike day trip to a Lake Geneva WI, U.S. farm hosted show and tell of everything and everybody involved in Wisconsin farming. My bike has dual front/rear gas tanks telling me that if one tank gets me there, the other tank will get me back. In order to enter the grass farm field parking area I have to pass an assortment of police vehicles from the state police on down; so if there was an issue with riding my HT motorized Schwinn in the lane of traffic, I would have heard about it. No problem there. I was able to park with the Harley Hogs near the front entrance. By observation, it appeared I was the only guest to arrive that day by motorized bicycle, earning my sticker for the day for energy efficiency. I had a light steel cable and lock making it difficult to ride off with the bike. The theft of the bike was not a concern. The concern was the bike falling over and gas weeping out of a tank. Stock caps are a good design but not perfect. I parked far enough away to be certain it would not fall on anyone else's ride and checked up on it mid day. The ground was hard and there was little wind. The bike with its stock kick stand did not fall over.
From the past, I have some formal biology background; but none in farming. There were small sample plots of various crops and winter ground cover with interesting information about issues related to growing it and what the crop was worth annually to Wisconsin farmers. Acres and acres of new farm equipment and other hardware such as a new truck for sale ready to drill water wells. The Univ of Wisc. was there with displays. All the farm related government agencies were there. OSHA had a booth. I was looking for some mention of nutrition related to the food crops, livestock and dairy since there is growing concern of harmful effects from even recommended serving portions. There was one recommendation on the website. About the food offered in the event food courts; leave your diet at home. There were plenty people at the event that looked overweight. I could assume many were farm family members that consume what they are producing.

It was an interesting worthwhile event even for a person not in the farming business. I did make it home without a problem. Good thing since the motorbike was not a multi speed pedal model and there was a lot of hills.

The rear tank is a commonly available clone of a Japanese design with the hose outlet in the front. Not a big problem, but there is a chance of running out of gas up hill. I did drill a small hole under the cap in the anti-splash baffle to prevent the top of the tank from air locking to add capacity.

Back