Death of the LandRider

Sidewinder Jerry

Local time
4:41 PM
Around 11 years ago I motorized a LandRider auto shift bike which shifted 7 engine/human driven gears automatically using a Staton Inc kit. Many told me it wouldn't work but through determination I got it to work.

I went on many enjoyable adventures with my LandRider bike that shifted gears automatically. Several times it helped me to get dates with women who'd see the bike and start conversations with me.

LandRider went out of business in 2016. It wasn't long before parts were scarce to come by without having to buy a used LandRider bike. Still I often fixed worn out parts to keep the bike running. I did some mods to the derailleur and it was working really good. Then the hanger broke on the the bike. Yes I could've done some fill in welding and grinding to fix the hanger. However, it wasn't too much longer after that I had to get another heart surgery due to a congenital birth defect. It was then I decided to build a triple chainring shifter along with introducing a unique shifting system that eliminates cross chaining, something I've always wanted to do. The new bike I'm building is a Schwinn Sidewinder.

Even though I know I'll go on many great adventures with my new bike, there's still a sadness in saying goodbye to the old one. It's like the loss of a close friend.

20210210_133830.jpg

20210210_133838.jpg

All the other multi autos I saw used multiple clutches, adding so much more power-robbing spinning mass. Your build was clean and in the vids I saw, smooth running.
Thank you Dan, I'm sure I could've fixed the hanger but this was my 5th heart surgery with more looming in the future. So I wanted to build the 3x7 shifter I've always wanted to build.

Thank you Dan, I'm sure I could've fixed the hanger but this was my 5th heart surgery with more looming in the future. So I wanted to build the 3x7 shifter I've always wanted to build.
Damn man. My dad just went through one heart surgery and that was bad enough. Can't imagine how much worse four more would be.

Guess you gotta get all your livin' in while you can, 'cause there's no telling when it's all gonna be over.

Back