Debunked!!!!

bike4life

Local time
7:02 PM
Idea: 3d print this container which will be attached to the hub motor plate.

As shown here:

The container will be hollow on the inside. The hole in the center is there so it fits around the axle and free wheel mount....
This container will hold water, which will have a threaded hole/cap so that the water can be emptied or refilled.....
The water will dissipate heat from the motor. The container should hold 500ml of water. The 500 ml of water can dissipate 44 watt hours from 20 to 100 Celsius. and an additional 310 watt hours if it boils into a gas.... Not to mention i could always dump out the water and refill it, for additional cooling... So that's a total of almost 400 watt hours of heat.... So if i overvolt to 4kw, it should handle all that heat without frying the motor assuming 10% heat loss / 90% efficiency.... Not to mention almost 800 watts if i just dump out the water and refill it...

Math says 3d printed plastic cooling apparatus for ebike can only dissipate 78 watt-hours of heat!!!!!!!!!! So that's the limiting factor!!!!!

Great disappointment cause now i have to use copper for the base plate and caulk a 3d printed thing around it, which is way more work!!!!

Special 3d printed polymers math says can do 2000 watts of heat per hour, but very expensive......

Stupid 3d print filaments with their low thermal conductivity...

https://physicscatalyst.com/article/thermal-conductivity-formula/

Last edited:
I feel like you're making up a problem to fix. Do you have a temp gun yet and what's the hottest you've got your hub up to? Mines been over 100 degrees but never 130. Even after a 2 mile up hill pulling a second bike i could still lay my hand on the hub. Delamination (why you don't want electric motors to get to 200 degrees) won't happen below 130, probably could run up to 165 safely all day if you wanted to but you have to be riding really slow, like under 10mph under a heavy load to try and get it that hot.

Back