deciding on the right friction drive motor.

Thanks for the info Mr. 5-7...helps alot with my decision. Two weeks and signs of that kind of wear doesn't appeal to me...but i do live in Florida which is very flat...so im thinking maybe the decrease in incline will save some wear and tear for my bike. what is your recommendation for me to get? based on my first post..

The Mitsubishi TLE43 2.2hp engine is an excellent engine. So are the Hondas and Tanakas. Keep in mind that the Honda 50 needs about $150 more in parts to bolt onto the popular 78mm drive assemblies.

This is your introduction into motorized bikes. Baby steps in the beginning, please.

yea, I'm not too gung hoo and set on wanting to have a overly flashy engine, because I rather save a headache later..I just want something high quality I dont wanna be stuck complaining that my engine wont work after a few weeks..

If the GP460 is to much for me to handle as my first bike, I wont argue with that! I plan on doing future builds any way like every one ends up doing.

My room mate has a chain drivin pre assembled nirve bike (here it is)
1234.jpg

I want my friction drive to be able to keep up with him and not take a beating for it...this is the bike Im using.
2011-11-20113034-1.jpg

I'm by no means a speed demon...im the kinda guy who like Mr2's as a car because they handle well..I like quick and nimble..but like I said I dont want to get left in the dust by his bike. I'd say it goes speed up around 35+

Your desired speed is a bit high for friction drive. I'm fairly new to this myself, but have done a lot of research. I do not have anywhere near the speed requirement you want, I'm perfectly happy with 20 mph top speed, which is the legal limit for motorized bicycles in my state. They also have a limit of 48cc for engine size. I already have motorcycles, so if I want to go fast I ride one of those. IMO most bicycles, especially bikes like the Huffy Cranbrook, which I have, are not safe at 30 mph.

Anyway, I elected to go with a Staton friction drive kit, with the Robin-Subaru EHO35 engine and a 1" roller, and have been very happy with it. I have better tires on the way. It's only fault is noise, I used to own a VeloSolex moped, and it was whisper quiet compared to the R-S, and it was a 2 stroke, but had an elaborate muffler system. Most people around here have an issue with motorized bicycles, so quietness is definitely a virtue.

For the kind of speeds you are wanting, I would look into a decent brand name mountain bike frame and wheels, and a rack mounted chain drive, with the biggest 2 stroke motor you can get on it. As far as I know, all rack mount drive systems have centrifugal clutches.

Of course, noise is a matter of perspective. In retrospect, my first engine, a Robin Subaru on Staton friction drive was the quietest.

Upon hearing my Tanaka engine idling in the parking structure, my coworker commented "Your engine is loud." "No, it's not", I replied.

When compared to a modified moped or motorcycle, my MB's not loud.:whistle:

When compared to a regular bicycle, my bike is deafening.:sick:

Im starting to lean toward chain drive again...but I just love the idea of how simple friction drive is, and how I can disengage to roller from the tire to pedal normally with no resistance...I also see that these speeds Im asking for are slightly unrealistic...but i hear so many things from so many different people...

I don't think the speeds you're looking for are unrealistic (and I have a toy that will do 50). If you go with the 460 and friction,1; You can make up for a weak low-end by using a smaller (1" or 7/8') roller. and 2; I believe (5-7 would know) that the 460 has enough top end rpm to still give good speed.

I started with a HF 52cc on a BMP 1.25 drive, could hold 30mph for as long as I could take it maxing about 35mph, but depending on the road, over 25mph is getting to the sketchy range.The 2-stroke tended to be jumpy on the throttle, combined with the power could get scary.I have since moved to a RS EHO35, I have to pedal more in headwinds, but it takes me plenty fast, and the easy starting was worth the extra $$.

I have a PF33 Tanaka with 1" roller. The engine is very light, and pulls me around respectably. I weigh 200lbs and I'm 6'3". Cruises 25 fine on the level and tops close to 30 with no wind and a little tuck. Doesn't seem to abuse the tires and I help it up the steeper grades. The Tanaka will last a long time.
FYI. My motor came with a owners manual for Canadians. It recomends 30-1 oil mix and not the 50-1 they advertise to get C.A.R.B. and EPA approval here in the States. That tells me that all this lean mixture hooey, is just that. If you want it to last a long time, don't thin it down too much.

I live in flat Florida as well, & prefer the simplicity of friction drive. Your weight will have a big impact on top speed. Have you ever ridden a bike at 35mph ? That is fast on a bike , at least in my opinion. I prefer about 20 mph, overall. This speed is safer, draws less attention from the cops [ Florida laws are ??????? ] & is easier on the bike, motor, & my butt. My tires need replacing from dry-rot before being worn out. Learn to properly drive a friction drive . Compare how easy it is to fix a flat on the road with both type drive trains. I had 3 flats in one day , so friction drive is my favorite.

Back